Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st October 2010, 19:51

No, the spamtrap works like this:

1) spam is sent to several email accounts on your system because emails are found on forums or whatever and easy targets
2) added spamtrap email looks legit and will also be added to the spamming roster
3) real email and spamtrap email will be spammed with the same email
4) postfix will discard all emails that were sent to both the spamtrap email and the real email addresses

You can put the spamtrap emails in hidden HTML code and all that crap to get them out there, as well. Basically, it just adds another line of defense.

I had my real email address shown on this forum for a few months. My spam went up like mad as a result. I added the spamtrap to my signature and what not, helped reduce it by about 10 a day since both emails were present for their spam-finding spiders.

Again, taken individually some of these steps won't be that great of a help. But, when you implement all of this as a collective you will see a great reduction.

Still not sure? Pretend that we're on the Death Star and we want to send get rid of those pesky Storm Troopers before they find our vulnerable spot. So, we force their ship into a Black Hole. No more Storm Troopers! Spam trap is the black hole for SciFi people.

Last edited by crypted; 1st October 2010 at 20:07.
Sponsored Links
Old 1st October 2010, 20:17

Okay. Understood..

One more thing.
When I send an email to myself (from lets say a gmail account) I receive it instantly.

Should it not be delayed for some time? I've set the "--delay=120" in /etc/default/postgrey.
(postgrey shows: POSTGREY_OPTS="--inet=127.0.0.1:60000 --delay=120")

I've even removed the proxy.gmail.com from /etc/postgray/whitelist_clients, and yes I did restart postgrey
Old 1st October 2010, 20:20

I would say not. I've noticed instant receipt from email addresses I've received content from previously. However, new addresses (so long as their domain is not whitelisted) will take some time to arrive.

If you're that concerned though, you can use the script mentioned in the BONUS INSTRUCTIONS and found a few posts down on the first page. It will give you all the details about how GREYLIST is operating. Good for debugging, troubleshooting, and curiosity.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:21

What I am trying to get from the log, are things that are blocked by the body_checks and header_checks since I have been getting a few false positives, and ubuntu's log viewer wont stay on the position I have need it to, it jumps to the new item automatically. Is this possible? Hope this isnt hijacking the thread.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal23 View Post
What I am trying to get from the log, are things that are blocked by the body_checks and header_checks since I have been getting a few false positives, and ubuntu's log viewer wont stay on the position I have need it to, it jumps to the new item automatically. Is this possible? Hope this isnt hijacking the thread.
I would first suggest using the postgrey script I discussed in the post above to ensure it isn't your postgrey creating false positives (doubtful). If it is, you can add whitelist entries for domains or email addresses. You can also do whitelists for the body/header checks in postfix.

However, I don't believe you will see anything in the mail.log discussing what you want.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypted View Post
I would say not. I've noticed instant receipt from email addresses I've received content from previously. However, new addresses (so long as their domain is not whitelisted) will take some time to arrive.

If you're that concerned though, you can use the script mentioned in the BONUS INSTRUCTIONS and found a few posts down on the first page. It will give you all the details about how GREYLIST is operating. Good for debugging, troubleshooting, and curiosity.
I'll have a go at it, but can you please post the "greylist_script.sh" also, or did you make a typo, and should "greylist_script.sh" be named "postgrey_stats.sh"?

Last edited by edge; 1st October 2010 at 20:41.
Old 1st October 2010, 20:52

Yeah, I'm referring to http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...94&postcount=8 so yeah I meant "postgrey_stats.sh."

My apology. really busy today.
edge (1st October 2010)
Old 2nd October 2010, 00:17

Just wanted to give an example of what I am trying to get(if at all possible lol)
Quote:
postfix/cleanup[30778]: 7BC4C280A0A8: message-id=<4CA65AE3.1070404@*****.com>
Oct 1 15:04:21
postfix/cleanup[30778]: 7BC4C280A0A8: redirect: body f**k from pop1-levy.****.net[216.229.186.150];
from=<***@***.com> to=<***@*****.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.****.net>: profanity@****.com
Oct 1 15:04:21 postfix/qmgr[10855]: 7BC4C280A0A8: from=<***@****.com>, size=985, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Oct 1 15:04:21 postfix/pipe[30784]: 7BC4C280A0A8: to=<profanity@****.com>, orig_to=<****@******.com>, relay=maildrop, delay=0.16, delays=0.14/0/0/0.02, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (delivered via maildrop service)
Oct 1 15:04:21 postfix/qmgr[10855]: 7BC4C280A0A8: removed
Sometimes with false "flags" emails get stopped and I need to pass them on, but since the log viewer wont hold on a position, I have to resend emails and switch to the viewer to try and catch what needs to be changed briefly to allow the email to pass.

I have been trying to work on a script that would send an email when a "flag" is hit, but haven't had a lot of success as of yet.
Old 2nd October 2010, 00:28

On the fly suggestion for viewing and getting the necessary address from the logs to setup whitelists:

Use "nano" in terminal. I.E.: nano /var/log/mail.log

That won't change positions as new data is added. However, it doesn't refresh as new data is logged. But, pretty simple and good to use.
Old 5th October 2010, 06:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal23 View Post
Just wanted to give an example of what I am trying to get(if at all possible lol)

Sometimes with false "flags" emails get stopped and I need to pass them on, but since the log viewer wont hold on a position, I have to resend emails and switch to the viewer to try and catch what needs to be changed briefly to allow the email to pass.

I have been trying to work on a script that would send an email when a "flag" is hit, but haven't had a lot of success as of yet.
Did my NANO suggestion help with your efforts?

Also, how are the general measures of my HOWTO working for you?

False positives happen, part of the game... But, I'm proud to say the HOWTO has already saved admins from worrying about over 200,000 spam emails.