Old 24th January 2008, 05:21

Default Newbie to MAndriva server

Trying to install a mandriva server following the How-To Perfect Server and I
have a few questions

On page 3 where you identify your ethernet connection manually, it asks for a hostname, What should i use their, I do have a domaine name registered, its

www.bidou-electonique.ca, so can my hostname be bidou-electronique

My next question and final one is on page 5 (make sure that you use the correct values for mydomain, myhostname, and mydestination)

what values sho i use for the following mydomain, myhostname, and mydestination

Thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Old 24th January 2008, 14:59

Usually there is a host i.e. computer behind three letters www which serves web requests. This computer in turn has an IP address and human given name - hostname. So in your case it could be say "server01". Actual domain name to which belongs this computer is "bidou-electronique.ca".
"mydestination" describes for whom you're receiving mail - all users in domain "bidou-electronique.ca" would be my first guess.
Things like how to find computer's name, related IP address, alias name(s) for certain hosts (computers) are maintained by DNS.
I would suggest reading "bind" man pages and related how-to's since if your'e setting up mail server you will be dealing with it very soon.
So far my attempts to find IP address for www.bidou-electronique.ca via http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox SmartWhois function are unsuccessful.

Good luck!
Old 9th August 2010, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppolet View Post
Usually there is a host i.e. computer behind three letters www which serves web requests. This computer in turn has an IP address and human given name - hostname. So in your case it could be say "server01". Actual domain name to which belongs this computer is "bidou-electronique.ca".
"mydestination" describes for whom you're receiving mail - all users in domain "bidou-electronique.ca" would be my first guess.
Things like how to find computer's name, related IP address, alias name(s) for certain hosts (computers) are maintained by DNS.
I would suggest reading "bind" man pages and related how-to's since if your'e setting up mail server you will be dealing with it very soon.
So far my attempts to find IP address for www.bidou-electronique.ca via http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox SmartWhois function are unsuccessful.

Good luck!

I found this site http://www.whoisxy.com/ It give domain name,ip address and got nice result at free of cost ...
Its equally to good to smartwhois
The Following User Says Thank You to sharimila For This Useful Post:
prabu (16th December 2010)