Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2006, 12:56
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

example.com is just an example, a placeholder for your domain.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Sponsored Links
Old 7th June 2006, 16:49

my hostname can be made up I think: So I've chosen "server"

now, for domain -- how do I know what to put here? If I ping myself, I get my IP's domain name, should that go here? -- I've bought a web address domain, can I put that there?
Old 7th June 2006, 17:10

I was in the same boat.

My server is on my home lan (while I set it up) but I had a few registered domains also. The company who I had domains with allowed me to change the DNS records using their control panel so I could point it to my routers IP address. This isn't a great option because if you have a dynamic IP address on your router then you will keep having to update your online DNS records to point to the new IP address of your router if you ever reboot it.

So for hostname i gave mine a planet name e.g. "Mars" for me the hostname identifies the computer hence why Server1, Server2 could also be used if you have more than one server.

The domain is your actual domain so that would be something.com, if you purchased mysexyhosting.com for example, enter that as your domain name.

After its all up and running on your local lan you can then goto your hosting company who have your domain and (hopefully) they will allow you to manage the zone record on their servers. You then just point your www, ftp etc to your router IP address.

Then put your server in the DMZ via your routers settings so its in front of the firewall, not behind it. Alternativly leave it behind the routers firewall and open up all the ports 80, 21, 443 etc to your server.

This is all for testing on a home/work lan before taking the machine to a data center with a static IP address etc.

Anim
Old 7th June 2006, 17:53

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know! I have bought www.crossfirenow.com as a domain, and it's currently being hosted by 1and1.com. So, I'll just point DNS to my IP I guess, and I'll make the server's domain name crossfirenow.com. Hostname: server. Does this all look correct? Thanks again!
Old 7th June 2006, 18:00
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,979 Times in 3,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetcharmer
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know! I have bought www.crossfirenow.com as a domain, and it's currently being hosted by 1and1.com. So, I'll just point DNS to my IP I guess, and I'll make the server's domain name crossfirenow.com. Hostname: server. Does this all look correct? Thanks again!
Looks fine. But you will also have to create a A-Record for server.crossfirenow.com pointing to your server IP.
Old 7th June 2006, 18:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Looks fine. But you will also have to create a A-Record for server.crossfirenow.com pointing to your server IP.
I never did that. what would use that?

Anim
Old 7th June 2006, 18:11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim
I never did that. what would use that?
Normally, every server has a "technical" domain that is used to connect to the server itself and that is not used as email domain or apache vhost to prevent problems with postfix.

Means, if you want to make a website crossfirenow.com in ISPConfig, the main domain of the server shall not be crossfirenow.com. You can use e.g. server.crossfirenow.com, server1.crossfirenow.com or something similar instead.
Old 7th June 2006, 18:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
What's an A-Record?
Old 7th June 2006, 18:27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetcharmer
What's an A-Record?
Please have a look here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto_p5
Old 7th June 2006, 22:12

does ISPConfig configure my DNS stuff for me? I've made it that far .
Closed Thread