Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Closed Thread

Old 15th August 2006, 18:42

Question Would be better find your suggested iso file and start from scratch again?

Hi Falko

I am old guy and a complete newbie on Linux (two days old) who decided to have a go on Draper due his stability, community support and affordability. Btw, thanks a lot for you help .

1. The link posted by you on the "Perfect Setup..." is not valid for download on http://ubuntu.intergenia.de/releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06-server-i386.iso". Where can I get this file and attempt to follow your master class on Linux? Should I start again using this file used on your Perfect Setup? From where can I get it?

2. As I could not grab the suggested file I've downloaded and installed ubuntu-6.06.1-alternate-i386.iso on my server. After two days sweating I manage to install Draper and Webmin following "LAMP Installation On Ubuntu 6.06 For Linux Noobs". But Webmin shows on Conf (after click on Start Apache bottom) "Failed to start apache:
"Apache does not appear to be running:
* Starting apache 2.0 web server......done"

Where I find information to sort out this problem?

What I should do Falko? Would be better find your suggested iso file and start from scratch again? Or can I use your Perfect guide from now even knowing that software’s were installed through ubuntu-desktop (apache, ssh...)? Should I start my attempt from page 3?

Have you any idea when the The Perfect LAMP Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server (Dapper Drake) will be released?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Old 16th August 2006, 16:39
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino
1. The link posted by you on the "Perfect Setup..." is not valid for download on http://ubuntu.intergenia.de/releases/6.06/ubuntu-6.06-server-i386.iso". Where can I get this file and attempt to follow your master class on Linux? Should I start again using this file used on your Perfect Setup? From where can I get it?
It's mentioned in the tutorial: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Quote:
2. As I could not grab the suggested file I've downloaded and installed ubuntu-6.06.1-alternate-i386.iso on my server. After two days sweating I manage to install Draper and Webmin following "LAMP Installation On Ubuntu 6.06 For Linux Noobs". But Webmin shows on Conf (after click on Start Apache bottom) "Failed to start apache:
"Apache does not appear to be running:
* Starting apache 2.0 web server......done"

Where I find information to sort out this problem?
What's the output of
Code:
netstat -tap
? What's in Apache's error log (in /var/log/apache2, I think)?

Quote:
Have you any idea when the The Perfect LAMP Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server (Dapper Drake) will be released?
That's exactly what "The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Server (Dapper Drake)" is about...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 23rd August 2006, 06:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmickers
Any hints for how to instigate server-side mail filters using this setup and ISPConfig? I have seen the howtos for implementing server side filtering for postfix and virtual users, but as I understand it, this system uses real users rather than virtual users. Is there any way to implement server-side filtering? Preferably with a web interface? I know sqwebmail supports this, but requires maildrop to be set up to enable it, and I'm not sure where to start in doing that.
Actually, the link you provided, regarding amavisd and clamav, is not quite what I was after.

I want to instigate server-side filtering rules that each mail user can specify, to sort incoming mail (such as mailing lists) into imap folders. As far as I can tell, the perfect setup does not allow for this. How would you suggest I go about this? I know that Courier has Maildrop as a mail transport agent, but I'm not sure how to get that working, or even if it would work in this setup.
Old 24th August 2006, 17:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
I want to instigate server-side filtering rules that each mail user can specify, to sort incoming mail (such as mailing lists) into imap folders.
You could use procmail recipes to do this.

Old 24th August 2006, 23:28

Okay. Now, I'm aware that ISPConfig uses procmail recipes to redirect incoming mail to user maildirs, but does it support user-configurable procmail recipes? I suspect it doesn't, as I haven't stumbled across this feature.

How well woukld ISPConfig combine with another web-based management systems, like Webmin? A quick and dirty seach indicates that Webmin has user-management functions as well, but would these conflict with ISPConfig's combined web- and user-management features? Or would installing Webmin simply work?

If not, are there any suggestions for other web-based management systems (either standalone, or combined with a webmail application) that might be of use in configuring server-side procmail recipes on a user-by-user basis?
Old 26th August 2006, 01:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Okay. Now, I'm aware that ISPConfig uses procmail recipes to redirect incoming mail to user maildirs, but does it support user-configurable procmail recipes? I suspect it doesn't, as I haven't stumbled across this feature.
You'd have to edit the procmail recipes on the command line and be aware that your changes are lost whenever you update that user (unless you write your procmail changes also to the procmail template files in /root/ispconfig/isp/conf).

Quote:
How well woukld ISPConfig combine with another web-based management systems, like Webmin? A quick and dirty seach indicates that Webmin has user-management functions as well, but would these conflict with ISPConfig's combined web- and user-management features?
Yes, there would be a conflict. You can use Webmin for all tasks not covered by ISPConfig (and vice versa), but don't use Webmin for tasks that are covered by ISPConfig, or you'll mess up your system.

Old 26th August 2006, 22:34

Hmmm ... okay. What exactly causes the "update" of a user? Once I create a web and a user on that web, when can I expect them to be "updated" and my .procmailrc to be removed?
Old 27th August 2006, 12:59
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,371 Times in 4,218 Posts

Quote:
Hmmm ... okay. What exactly causes the "update" of a user? Once I create a web and a user on that web, when can I expect them to be "updated" and my .procmailrc to be removed?
When you change any setting of that user in ISPConfig.
Old 29th August 2006, 14:32

Okay...after some testing, I am faced with a problem.

One of the main things I need this server to be able to do is sync imap with Palm Versamail. Unfortunately, Courier IMAP is strict with it's namespaces, and all mail subfolders must be located below Inbox. This is incompatible with Versamail, which can only synchronise folders below the root namespace.

As a result, I need to change to Dovecot, which is does not strictly implement this feature and will allow the creation of directories at the root level of the Maildir.

How would I go about changing to Dovecot? If I use apt-get to remove Courier, and then apt-get to install the relevant Dovecot packages, can I expect Dovecot to just slide into place, as they both use Maildirs? Or is there more configuration involved to make Dovecot function with ISPConfig?
Old 29th August 2006, 14:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,371 Times in 4,218 Posts

Quote:
How would I go about changing to Dovecot? If I use apt-get to remove Courier, and then apt-get to install the relevant Dovecot packages, can I expect Dovecot to just slide into place, as they both use Maildirs?
yes.

Quote:
Or is there more configuration involved to make Dovecot function with ISPConfig?
no.
Closed Thread