Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Feature Requests

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14th May 2010, 04:51
kotakomputer kotakomputer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation Automatic FTP user creation

Dear,

Since Control Panel has to provide an instant access to client then ISPConfig should be:

1. Automatic create FTP user when we add new user. This FTP user uses same username and password.
2. PREFIX should be [CLIENTNAME]_ (with 'underscore')
3. Automatic create CLIENTNAME from 8 chars of Domain Name, e.g: kotakomputer.com then CLIENTNAME is kotakomp
4. Support script installation (called as Fantastico in CPanel)

IMPORTANT!!!!
The installation process of ISPConfig need to improve, ISPConfig should automatic install required applications, such as: postfix, mysql, apache.

Above task should be available because ALL POPULAR CONTROL PANELS already provide it, such as: CPanel and DirectAdmin.

Regards
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 17th May 2010, 12:44
till till is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 35,457
Thanks: 813
Thanked 5,231 Times in 4,100 Posts
Default

Quote:
IMPORTANT!!!!
The installation process of ISPConfig need to improve, ISPConfig should automatic install required applications, such as: postfix, mysql, apache.

Above task should be available because ALL POPULAR CONTROL PANELS already provide it, such as: CPanel and DirectAdmin.
Then use these popular control panels and pay for them if its so important for you or contribute the missing features to ispconfig.
__________________
Till Brehm
--
Get ISPConfig support and the ISPConfig 3 manual from ispconfig.org.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17th May 2010, 20:46
ivomendonca ivomendonca is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 132
Thanks: 10
Thanked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotakomputer View Post
Dear,

Since Control Panel has to provide an instant access to client then ISPConfig should be:

1. Automatic create FTP user when we add new user. This FTP user uses same username and password.
2. PREFIX should be [CLIENTNAME]_ (with 'underscore')
3. Automatic create CLIENTNAME from 8 chars of Domain Name, e.g: kotakomputer.com then CLIENTNAME is kotakomp
4. Support script installation (called as Fantastico in CPanel)

IMPORTANT!!!!
The installation process of ISPConfig need to improve, ISPConfig should automatic install required applications, such as: postfix, mysql, apache.

Above task should be available because ALL POPULAR CONTROL PANELS already provide it, such as: CPanel and DirectAdmin.

Regards
Wellcome to opensource industy!. No Pain no Gain.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19th May 2010, 12:35
mike_p mike_p is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 140
Thanks: 9
Thanked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotakomputer View Post
Above task should be available because ALL POPULAR CONTROL PANELS already provide it, such as: CPanel and DirectAdmin.
Don't think for one moment that those popular (and EXPENSIVE!) panels are bug free.

I am just migrating sites from a server with DirectAdmin and found that if you suspend an account, Apache fails to restart! (You then have to manually edit the main httpd.conf and comment out the include line for the suspended account.)

In comparison, ISPConfig has a far superior system of controlling a directory containing links to the individual vhost configuration files.

And unless things have changed, YOU don't install DirectAdmin: you give them the login and they install it for you. (Or their reseller does)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19th May 2010, 14:55
Hans Hans is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Montfoort, The Netherlands
Posts: 2,256
Thanks: 212
Thanked 648 Times in 294 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Hans
Default

I don't like the automatic creation of FTP-accounts and if there will be such feature in next releases, i do hope you can switch it off or on.
What i do like about ISPConfig is that it gives you so much control.
For example it's really nice that clients can make their FTP-accounts active or inactive, because the FTP-protocol is not the safest one.
__________________
Hans

BB-Hosting | Quality Web Hosting since 2005
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hans For This Useful Post:
ressel (19th May 2010)
  #6  
Old 19th May 2010, 21:14
ressel ressel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 128
Thanks: 18
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I don't like the automatic creation of FTP-accounts and if there will be such feature in next releases, i do hope you can switch it off or on.
What i do like about ISPConfig is that it gives you so much control.
For example it's really nice that clients can make their FTP-accounts active or inactive, because the FTP-protocol is not the safest one.
I must agree with Hans, i don't want automatic creation of ftp accounts.

Not all my customers does use ftp, many of them get their CMS installed by me, and that's often enough for them.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 4th June 2010, 08:36
waibaihuo waibaihuo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9
Thanks: 4
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_p View Post
Don't think for one moment that those popular (and EXPENSIVE!) panels are bug free.

I am just migrating sites from a server with DirectAdmin and found that if you suspend an account, Apache fails to restart! (You then have to manually edit the main httpd.conf and comment out the include line for the suspended account.)

In comparison, ISPConfig has a far superior system of controlling a directory containing links to the individual vhost configuration files.

And unless things have changed, YOU don't install DirectAdmin: you give them the login and they install it for you. (Or their reseller does)
Yes. Agree.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28th June 2010, 08:33
arcain6 arcain6 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Then use these popular control panels and pay for them if its so important for you or contribute the missing features to ispconfig.
The fact is, this portion of the forum was put here so the developers and contributors can get an idea of what features the end users would like to see. While i don't agree that this feature should be implemented, i do feel that it was posted in the proper place. And his reasoning and examples for requesting the feature were valid.

The fact that this is a " feature request " thread, means he should be able to " request " without being flamed by a " super moderator "

This type of attitude is NOT appreciated by anyone in the opensource community, and serves absolutely no purpose other than to be disrespectful.

I personally feel the response should have been a lot more diplomatic.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28th June 2010, 08:50
mike_p mike_p is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 140
Thanks: 9
Thanked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Default

In my opinion the tone of the OP's post was very rude. People who spend thousands of hours without pay creating an open-source product do not deserve to be treated rudely like that.

If the OP had actually made a simple feature request there would not have been a problem. He didn't say "he'd love to see this feature" or "please could you include this feature". No, he said "ISPConfig should.." and "ISPConfig need to improve". Where you say "This type of attitude is NOT appreciated by anyone in the opensource community, and serves absolutely no purpose other than to be disrespectful. " - that should apply to the OP, NOT to the people he started being rude to.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28th June 2010, 10:07
till till is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lüneburg, Germany
Posts: 35,457
Thanks: 813
Thanked 5,231 Times in 4,100 Posts
 
Default

@Arcain6. Please see which part I quoted in my answer. My reaction was not about the feature request of a automatic FTP user creation which is absolutely fine. My answer was about the last 2 sentences, the lines that I quoted. As you might know, writing a sentence in uppercase means "shouting" it and my answer was just the reaction on his try to pressure the ispconfig developers.
__________________
Till Brehm
--
Get ISPConfig support and the ISPConfig 3 manual from ispconfig.org.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cpanel, directadmin, fantastico

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Statistic not working mzo Installation/Configuration 49 20th April 2011 12:19
Vhosts...conf not synced to changes crypted General 50 24th April 2010 00:54
ispconfig 2 ftp / ssh issues? dw5304 General 6 7th April 2010 16:00
User ftp path bernholdt Installation/Configuration 1 4th September 2008 09:43
Need to setup access to particular directory for particula FTP user. kanour Installation/Configuration 1 6th August 2006 13:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.