Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 24th June 2010, 02:35

Smile Compiz startup on user login (CentOS) question...

I was using the Beryl HOWTO as a guide for starting Compiz on CentOS 5.5 and just had a few questions...

First of all I installed Compiz from this page and everything works fine, I can run it fine from the start menu shortcut or by typing fusion-icon. For whatever reason compiz --replace does not work for me, but you don't get the icon that method anyways...

So I was using the Beryl scripts as a template, and used the following code:

/usr/bin/startcompiz.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
fusion-icon
sleep 4
exec gnome-session
/usr/share/xsessions/Compiz.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Compiz
Exec=/usr/bin/startcompiz.sh
Icon=
Type=Application
All I get is a black screen and all I can do is ctrl+alt F5 and get back to a terminal...where I usually just reboot to get a fresh start....

I tried putting the fusion-icon line at the bottom with a 10 second sleep time above it, but it does nothing that way (just normal desktop)....

like this: (not sure why this couldn't work)

Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec gnome-session
sleep 10
fusion-icon
So, I was just wondering if anyone had any different things I could try as I'm kind of lost as what to do next.... I've tried rc.local and even made rc.d scripts to no avail (runlevel 5).... although I can see why those methods would not work.... i still wanted to try it....

Thanks for any help....

(PS- I did install Beryl successfully yesterday and it started automatically with those scipts, but I'd rather use Compiz-Fusion as it's much more stable, as it should be I suppose)....this testing was done on a clean install with no remnants of Beryl..... (32-bit)

Last edited by Bailx; 24th June 2010 at 07:03.
Sponsored Links
Old 30th June 2010, 19:14

Seems like there is no real fix for this, you just have to set it on a per-user basis in the sessions menu (startup apps)...

Not the most elegant solution, but whatever... it works

/TOPIC

Last edited by Bailx; 1st July 2010 at 11:17.