Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd August 2007, 19:23

Default Dual-Booting Windows XP/Vista And Ubuntu 7.04, Ubuntu partition problem

Hi folks,

I have a laptop with Windows Vista on it installed, and would like to add Ubuntu 7.04 to it. I followed the instructions in the Dual-Booting Windows XP/Vista And Ubuntu 7.04 HowTo, http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_..._ubuntu_feisty, and I have the following problem:

I start the Ubuntu 7.04 from disc (CD is ok, I ran a check on it).
I start the installation process and get to the point where I create partitions.

I have: one physical disc, 160 GB. There are three partitions: 7 GB of some EISA Configuration, C on which Vista resides, and D - which I shrunk to get some free space. All this is followed by the 35 GB of free space for Ubuntu (I used Vista partitioning to shrink the D partition, as in the HowTo).

So Ubuntu sees all the mentioned disks plus this free space. I create a swap partition of 512 Mb following the instructions, but after that it renders the rest of the free space UNUSABLE (and it's supposed to be FREE). So I can't make the big partition for the system. All I can do is to undo the changes to the partitions and cancel the installation process.

Does anyone know why it (Ubuntu 7.04 installation thingy) makes the space unusable instead of free once I create a partition?

My laptop is:

Acer
Intel Core Duo processor T2250
160 GB HDD
2GB DDR2 (support dual-channel)

If you need more info I'll be happy to provide it.

Last edited by Callisto; 3rd August 2007 at 20:16.
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd August 2007, 23:51

I tried trusting Ubuntu and chose the option of automatic partitioning, the one where it uses the largest contiguous free space. It worked! I now have both Ubuntu and Vista.

Sorry for creating the topic.