Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Suggest HOWTO

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st June 2006, 17:29

Smile Request: Perfect Ubuntu 6.06 LTS - Automatic LAMP Server Installation (co-location)

Hi all

I've been reading the Perfect ISP Server install for Ubuntu Badger 5.10 and found them to be amazing articles. So a massive thanks to this website and the authors that did those articles.

The latest version of Ubuntu (v6.06) got released today so I put my request here for anybody willing to update the perfect server how-to's to this version with the posibility of using the Automatic LAMP installation option as a starting point (or not if more control can be done from manually installing these packages).

Cheers
Anim
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd June 2006, 12:00
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Of course we will write a "Perfect Setup" for Ubuntu 6.06, but you need to give us some time. You can't expect us to publish that tutorial the same day.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 2nd June 2006, 13:03

Hiya Falco

Haha, I didnt expect the tutorial to be updated the same day as release. But its nice to hear that you have it in the pipeline.

Cheers
Anim
Old 2nd June 2006, 14:48
Local Meanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
You can't expect us to publish that tutorial the same day.
Of course I can ... the only question is whether my expectations do matter to you
Anyway, how many days have already passed?
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:25
Super Moderator

For the impatient: I've just installed Ubuntu 6.06 Server, and ISPConfig installs fine on it. You can follow the Ubuntu 5.10 tutorial ( http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10 ), there aren't many changes (just install PHP5 instead of PHP4, that's it).

Old 2nd June 2006, 18:14
Local Meanie

Is PHP5 necessary? I still refuse to use it ^^
Old 3rd June 2006, 09:45

Morning all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
For the impatient: I've just installed Ubuntu 6.06 Server, and ISPConfig installs fine on it. You can follow the Ubuntu 5.10 tutorial ( http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10 ), there aren't many changes (just install PHP5 instead of PHP4, that's it).
I tried that initially but had a few problems using 64bit server, then did the Fudora Core 5 - 64Bit instead which worked a treat but I noticed the reboot time of Fedora is twice as slow as Ubuntu for some reason.

I will give it another go today (I have only been using Linux for 2 days) and make notes this time.

I did have one issue with ISPConfig that I couldn't work out. I want the root IP to be listed as a website via ISPConfig so that I can manage it but it (i think) doesn't allow this.

If I added the single IP as a new website in ISPConfig then on another windows station setting the hosts to

192.168.0.2 dev.softwarediy.com

and typing in dev.softwarediy.com in a browser would result in a sharedIP warning when I tried to connect to it. I know that the domain is simply reversing to its IP (via windows hosts) and sending that and the ISPConfig settings needs the domain to identify the Virtual server. I kind of know the problem but not how to make it work like I want. Is there a way to say that the first website isn't a virtual website and it exclusivly uses the only available IP address?

I have a Linux machine (will be co-located when its setup) and my windows development machine. I want to setup my initial website on the root IP and be able to manage that via ISPConfig. When its all up and running I will then take it to a datacenter (at which point I will get 10 IP addresses) and if I want can host other websites on it using ISPConfig to set them up.

Is that possible?

Also, Is it just a case of changing the IP addresses in ISPConfig to match that what I am assigned when it goes to the datacenter and all will be ok? or is there more to it?

Is there a way to start Gnome on Ubuntu Server? I couldn't figure it out from the CLI.

Cheers
Anim
Old 3rd June 2006, 13:37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjau
Is PHP5 necessary? I still refuse to use it ^^
No, you can also use PHP4.

Old 3rd June 2006, 13:39
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim
If I added the single IP as a new website in ISPConfig then on another windows station setting the hosts to

192.168.0.2 dev.softwarediy.com

and typing in dev.softwarediy.com in a browser would result in a sharedIP warning when I tried to connect to it. I know that the domain is simply reversing to its IP (via windows hosts) and sending that and the ISPConfig settings needs the domain to identify the Virtual server. I kind of know the problem but not how to make it work like I want. Is there a way to say that the first website isn't a virtual website and it exclusivly uses the only available IP address?
I think you use the wrong IP address in ISPConfig. What's in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim
I have a Linux machine (will be co-located when its setup) and my windows development machine. I want to setup my initial website on the root IP and be able to manage that via ISPConfig. When its all up and running I will then take it to a datacenter (at which point I will get 10 IP addresses) and if I want can host other websites on it using ISPConfig to set them up.

Is that possible?

Also, Is it just a case of changing the IP addresses in ISPConfig to match that what I am assigned when it goes to the datacenter and all will be ok? or is there more to it?
Have a look here to learn howe to change the IP adress: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2760

Old 3rd June 2006, 14:14

Guess I'm impatient I tried again today with quite a few issues....

Page 3: Edit /etc/apt/sources.list And Update Your Linux Installation

The changes here are I guess to comment out the CD-ROM source at the top of the file and uncomment the Universe sources at the bottom. The contents are different to that of Badger tho so dont change them. Packages are now sourced via your internet connection rather than from the CD-ROM.

On the same page it goes on to say

Install SSH Daemon
apt-get install ssh openssh-server

After this has been done you can then use Putty to login to the server and do the rest of the tutorial from the workstation with the browser on. (Copy and Paste heaven)

Additional documentation for SSH setup can be found here
http://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/server...sh-server.html

It shows how to change the default SSH port to some other port which (as far as i can see) improves security slightly.

Moving down page 3 the line that says

Install/Remove Some Software
Now let's install some software we need later on and remove some packages that we do not need:
apt-get install binutils cpp cpp-4.0 fetchmail flex gcc gcc-4.0 libarchive-zip-perl libc6-dev libcompress-zlib-perl libdb4.3-dev libpcre3 libpopt-dev linux-kernel-headers lynx m4 make ncftp nmap openssl perl perl-modules unzip zip zlib1g-dev autoconf automake1.9 libtool bison autotools-dev (in 1 Line!!)

Fails because it can't find ncftp, I checked that universe was enabled in my sources list and it is so got stumped here. As we install ftpprod anyway I just omitted this from the above line and 14.9MB of download later i could carry on.

Also, was there meant to be a bit that we remove somewhere as the title suggests?

Quota
When running quotacheck I get several warnings:

Warning Quotafile var/quota.user was probably truncated, cant save quota settings

Warning Quotafile var/quota.group was probably truncated, cant save quota settings

.....continuing to the end of page 3 completed without issue.

Page 4

MySQL
apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client libmysqlclient12-dev

This had a warning that the package libmysqlclient12-dev has no installation candidate. As I installed the LAMP installation I will assume that I have most of SQL already installed and continued on without fear of a half assed system

A few steps down the command...

mysqladmin -h server1.example.com -u root password yourrootsqlpassword

Caused a "lost connection to MySQL Server during Query" error. I had entered the correct domain name and password but still got this error. I checked the netstat -tap table and all was as it shoud be so searched the forums and found other people had this error but the advice was to contiune and set the password later.

I gave up at this point. I want to find out why MySQL isnt working correctly, maybe the LAMP install sets a password up already?

Right, off to install again and go through just the Server install without LAMP and see if I get past this point.

The problem for me is that im doing most of the instructions without any knowledge of why but with each install attempt i'm starting to figure out the why. Intresting stuff really.

One area that I think is causing me some issues is the hosts file.

I need to read up on that. In windows its just IP <domain> but here we are using things like localhost.localdomain localhost server1

and I dont understand what the instructions....

echo server1.example.com > /etc/hostname
/bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname

....is for

more reading....

Anim

PS. Thanks for your previous reply. I will look into that.

Last edited by Anim; 3rd June 2006 at 14:17.