Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th May 2010, 01:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Apache is showing the first website if there is no matching domain in the apache configuration.
After recent updates to the /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/, as you recommended, my ISPConfig 3 is much friendlier. ..... Thanks.

However, the issue still unresolved is: how to enter "sub.domain.com" into "ServerAlias" so I get this "ServerAlias sub.domain.com"

a) if I use "none" there is no "ServerAlias" directive
b) if i use "www" i get "ServerAlias www.sub.ocsatire.com" no good
c) if i use "*" i get "ServerAlias *.sub.ocsatire.com" no good

I could keep manually removing www or * but that my be error prone.
Is there any way how to set it in the /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf/ somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Old 30th May 2010, 09:36
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Thats already answered in post #9, option b) Add a subdomain:

Login to ispconfig, go to the sites module, click on "Subdomain for website", click on the "Add new subdomain" button, enter "sub" in the host field, select the domain in the "Domain" field and click on save.
Old 30th May 2010, 09:42

Till has already answred this question in post#3 within this thread.
Quote:
The auto subdomain feature is just for wildcard subdomains or a standard subdomain like www. For all other subdomains, you simply add a subdomain or aliasdomain.
So, to make it simple....

Go to the 'sites' page.
Click on 'Aliasdomain for website'
Click 'Add Aliasdomain'
Type in the domain name you want as a ServerAlias
Choose the domain into whose vhost file you would like it added.
Click save.
Wait one minute for the job to be processed.
Job Done!

---
edited to say .... damn...Till beat me to it! - but with a slightly different answer??
Old 30th May 2010, 09:47
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
Till beat me to it! - but with a slightly different answer??
Not that different, as the alias and subdomain feature will have the same result and both will work. They are splitted up in two options to allow ISP's to give their customers just subdomains without being able to add different second level domains as well. Or in other words, the subdomains function shows you a select box with all your website domains while the alias function has a free text field instead.
Old 30th May 2010, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Not that different, as the alias and subdomain feature will have the same result and both will work. They are splitted up in two options to allow ISP's to give their customers just subdomains without being able to add different second level domains as well. Or in other words, the subdomains function shows you a select box with all your website domains while the alias function has a free text field instead.
I think that there was a major confusion on my part by creating wrong page test files indicating that I am looking at same Site but it was different one.

So unless I am wrong now, you have been correct right from the outset till. Apparently there is no need for any aliasing if I create subdomain same as domain via Site menu and CNAME DSN.

So it works nice and I am happy now.
It is good panel...... THANKS!
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:26

Default Aliasdomain remove problem

deleted by user, wrong section.,

Last edited by vaio; 2nd December 2010 at 16:26. Reason: i wanted to post new thread not reply
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:08

A bit off-topic, but to Till's point: edi00, you can't expect to hop in a nuclear submarine when you're never operated one, press a random button that launches a missile, and then turn to the submarine's creator and say, "I pressed the big red button and it fired a missile! That's insane! Why would a big red button ever fire a missile!?"

ISPConfig is working precisely as designed, in this particular regard, yet I still don't see an apology to Till. (You said, "You were right all along ... thanks", but that's hardly an apology.)