Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 29th May 2010, 13:31

Unhappy DNS problem with www.

Hi,

I've a little problem with my ispconfig 3 hosting. I've 2 domains for the moment and they work, but without www.

If i use mydomain.com => no problem i've my website

If i use www.mydomain.com => i've one page with "It's work !"

And that for the both domains... i tried to add a DNS zone with www. but no change !

Someone have a suggestion ?

thank by advance
Sponsored Links
Old 29th May 2010, 15:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymenia View Post
Hi,

I've a little problem with my ispconfig 3 hosting. I've 2 domains for the moment and they work, but without www.

If i use mydomain.com => no problem i've my website

If i use www.mydomain.com => i've one page with "It's work !"

And that for the both domains... i tried to add a DNS zone with www. but no change !

Someone have a suggestion ?

thank by advance
If you change DNS it may take up to 48 hours before the changes will kick in. Use ping to see if DNS is functional at http://network-tools.com/

However, it may not be DNS problem. Check if "ServerAlias" is set to *.mydomain.com or list ServerAlias mydomain.com, www.mydomain.com

The ISPConfig3 has illogical feature allowing user to set Auto-Subdomain = "none" which will remove the "ServerAlias" directive altogether which should not happen if you have more than one site installed.

It is the "ServerAlias" which will determine which <VirtualHost *:80> will be served since they have same IP address.

Last edited by edi00; 29th May 2010 at 15:16.
Old 29th May 2010, 15:44
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,322 Times in 4,175 Posts

Quote:
The ISPConfig3 has illogical feature allowing user to set Auto-Subdomain = "none" which will remove the "ServerAlias" directive altogether which should not happen if you have more than one site installed.
Might be illogical for you but not for others, as this functions does exactly what it says. If you set it to none, then of course no server alias directive gets added. Thats what the word none means. The auto subdomain feature is just for wildcard subdomains or a standard subdomain like www. For all other subdomains, you simply add a subdomain or aliasdomain.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Might be illogical for you but not for others, as this functions does exactly what it says. If you set it to none, then of course no server alias directive gets added. Thats what the word none means. The auto subdomain feature is just for wildcard subdomains or a standard subdomain like www. For all other subdomains, you simply add a subdomain or aliasdomain.
That is why I call it illogical till, because you can't give choice to your users which is illegal.

Every host in the "VirtualHost" environment with a single IP address must have "ServerAlias" directive. Otherwise you are creating lot of confusion for the newbies.

The purpose of a control panel is to make things simple and transparent to user.
I am sure that it is all clear to you but it took me 1 week to discover this problem.
Old 29th May 2010, 16:58
Super Moderator

Quote:
That is why I call it illogical till, because you can't give choice to your users which is illegal.
Why shall it be illegal? I use it on a lot of my sites with setting none. Works perfectly.
Old 29th May 2010, 17:16

Quote:
Why shall it be illegal? I use it on a lot of my sites with setting none. Works perfectly.

Sure, and how many sites you have?.... one?.
Old 29th May 2010, 17:17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Sure, and how many sites you have?.... one?.
A few hundred.
Old 29th May 2010, 17:20

Quote:
A few hundred.
Interesting..... my did not worked with two. The first was shadowing the second.
Old 29th May 2010, 17:35
Super Moderator

So you should really consider to just ask a question if you have a problem with your site or setup instead of complaining thats its illogical

Quote:
The first was shadowing the second.
Apache is showing the first website if there is no matching domain in the apache configuration.

Examples:

If you create a website with domain: domain.tld, then you will be able to access thsi site in the browser when you enter http://domain.tld in the web browser. If you enter www.domain.tld in the browser, you will not get this site of course, as www.domain.tld is not listed in the setup. You then have several options:

a) select auto subdomain "www" in the site settings.
b) add a subdomain "www" for this site.
c) add a aliasdomain www.domain.tld to this site.
d) select * as auto subdomain. But this will match all subdomains and redirect them to the site, so this setting is only a good choice if you e.g. run a cms system like wordpress MU, where users can get their custom subdomains and use this in conjuction with a wildcard DNS record.

Another example, this time when auto subdomain "none" is used. I have a customer which runs several internationalized sites on subdomains. For example us.domain.tld and de.domain.tld. In this case, you enter "us.domain.tld" in the domain field and set auto subdomain to none. So if someone enters us.domain.tld in the browser, he gets the content of this website.
Old 29th May 2010, 19:41

Quote:
So you should really consider to just ask a question if you have a problem with your site or setup instead of complaining thats its illogical

Apache is showing the first website if there is no matching domain in the apache configuration.

Examples:

If you create a website with domain: domain.tld, then you will be able to access thsi site in the browser when you enter http://domain.tld in the web browser. If you enter www.domain.tld in the browser, you will not get this site of course, as www.domain.tld is not listed in the setup. You then have several options:

a) select auto subdomain "www" in the site settings.
b) add a subdomain "www" for this site.
c) add a aliasdomain www.domain.tld to this site.
d) select * as auto subdomain. But this will match all subdomains and redirect them to the site, so this setting is only a good choice if you e.g. run a cms system like wordpress MU, where users can get their custom subdomains and use this in conjuction with a wildcard DNS record.

Another example, this time when auto subdomain "none" is used. I have a customer which runs several internationalized sites on subdomains. For example us.domain.tld and de.domain.tld. In this case, you enter "us.domain.tld" in the domain field and set auto subdomain to none. So if someone enters us.domain.tld in the browser, he gets the content of this website.
I have learn this hard way till.
Firstly, I have created domain.com with auto-subdomain "none" (default)
Secondly, I have created subdomain with sub.domain.com manually added to copy my prior server settings and it worked so I was happy.
Then somehow a was playing with auto-subdomain "*.domain.com" and my subdomain stop working but I have not attributed it to that "illogical setting". After going bananas for several days I have compared my old virtual server settings with the new virtual settings and I have discovered the problem.

So now you know till, why am I abrasive.

You see, I am migrating from the old Unix Virtual Server Apache/mod_perl to Ubunto 10.04 Apache2/mod_perl2 + ISPConf 3 which is not documented and there is nothing on the web on the new stuff so I am in it up to my ears especially when this is just secondary to my real programing needs which is MT4 and Metatrader automated trading platform and EURUSD is falling and I am on sideline in my way to become filthy rich.