Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st May 2010, 09:52
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,396 Times in 4,240 Posts

Quote:
How can the OP blame the Perfect Server guide for his setup when that perfect server guide hasn't been written yet!
This thread is about the problem from GoremanX with the jobqueue. Where does GoremanX stated here that he used Ubuntu 10.04, a ubuntu version that has not been tested with ispconfig yet and where no guide exists yet?
Sponsored Links
Old 1st May 2010, 09:56

In his other thread
http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=1
he states:
Quote:
I'm running ISPConfig 3.0.2.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 (RC1) with PHP 5.3.2 and Apache 2.2.14.
Old 1st May 2010, 10:05
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,396 Times in 4,240 Posts

Using a RC of a unsupported Linux version to install a new server... I havent realised this. It did not even come to my mind that someone could really do this and then complain in the way he did that something does not work.

So the simple solution to all these threads is, format the server and install a supported Linux distribution as I dont think that he wants to join the developer program to improve the ispconfig installer and add support for a new linux version to it.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:28

Can't figure out how to put quotes in my posts yet ... but I'd like to comment that I've been trying ispconfig3 on lucid for a couple of weeks now and everything is working well without modifying falkos Perfect Karmic howto.

My earlier comment in this thread regarding the logging of
PHP Deprecated: Comments starting with '#' are deprecated in ...
are to be expected when one is working at the development level. A simple search of the web often gives answers.

Like till already said, this is a bug in ? some debian based systems like ubuntu which occurs when starting Apache with PHP. Details are here:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=563433

Other modifications I made relate to changing the hostname in postfix configuration to match what it says in /etc/mailname

That is to say specifically:
The ISPConfig3 installer changes "myhostname = " to "myhostname = server1.example.com" and /etc/mailname has "example.com" ... so i did this:

cat /etc/mailname

vi /etc/postfix/main.cf

and changed

myhostname = server1.example.com

to

myhostname = example.com

In any event - GoremanX was attempting to use my attempt to help him as fuel for his argument that ISPConfig 3 is in some way deficient - obviously I don't agree with this since I am happily using the software on my servers.

Quite simply there are responsibilities involved with owning and operating a server and when doesn't accept this they shouldn't bother the people who are willing to put in the work.
Old 1st May 2010, 18:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_p View Post
Where is the perfect server guide for ISPConfig 3.0.2.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 (RC1) ?
Yeah you're right, my apologies. The issue is not present when using Ubuntu 9.10.

You people are way too sensitive. My OP was a simple question asking why things happen the way they do, and it turned into a bitch-fest. I was only attempting to understand how ISPConfig 3 works. Go re-read my OP for this thread, it's not accusatory at all, it simply explains how something happened and asks for an explanation of why. The answer I got was:

"you must've killed the cron job manually"
and
"you must have a crazy partition setup"

(neither of which is accurate)

And then somehow it became a multi-thread battle to defend ISPConfig. Meanwhile, I've learned why there's a slight delay when I perform tasks in ISPConfig 3 (everything is done with a cron job), but I still have no idea why it sometimes takes 15+ minutes for something to happen, or why I get jobqueue error messages in my cron log.

For the record, I've given up on ISPConfig 3. I'm sure it's a great control panel with lots of promise, but this forum is the most unfriendly one I've ever participated in. In 10+ years of working with and contributing to open source software, I've never had such a negative experience with a community. You people leap to conclusions without reading everything, throw blame around (at people and "other software") instead of trying to help, and immediately feel threatened whenever someone asks for help with something that might be related to an outside package. Perhaps you should participate in other forums and learn how to interact with users, it might be a positive learning experience for everyone.