Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 26th April 2010, 20:33

Default Site Directives and Custom php.ini

I've been trying to setup a custom php.ini file for virtual hosts. There's a lot of good info about this on the web, but none of it seems to be working for me using ISPConfig 3.

I'm running ISPConfig 3.0.2.1 on Ubuntu 10.04 (RC1) with PHP 5.3.2 and Apache 2.2.14. The site is set to use suPHP 0.7.1.

First, I tried adding the following to the site directives:

Code:
suPHP_ConfigPath /var/www/fpzhosting.com/etc/
and I have a custom php.ini file in that directory. But none of the settings in that php.ini file are being applied. For example, the file clearly states:

Code:
open_basedir /var/www/fpzhosting.com/web/
But when I look at that site's phpinfo(), open_basedir is set to "none".

So I tried to look at the /etc/apache2/sites-available/fpzhosting.com.vhost file to make sure the directive I added was in fact present. It was, but it was at the bottom of the file. I don't know if this line needs to be between the same <directory> tags as the other suPHP directives, so I moved it there just to be sure and tried again. Still no joy, the custom php.ini file isn't being used.

So next I tried adding the directive to the site's root .htaccess file. Again, it didn't work. The file at /var/www/fpzhosting.com/etc/php.ini does not appear to get used at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 26th April 2010, 23:08
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,369 Times in 4,216 Posts

Remove the / at the end of the config path. It has to be:

suPHP_ConfigPath /var/www/fpzhosting.com/etc

and add the line just to the apache directives field. I use it like this on many sites.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
feeninuoumn (16th January 2014)
Old 30th April 2010, 01:48

This still doesn't work. My custom php.ini file still isn't being used.

Additionally, I notice there's a PHP open_basedir field right in the options for the site in ISPConfig, and it already has all the necessary values filled in, but phpinfo() still shows "open_basedir" as "none". What is the point of this field if it doesn't actually do anything?

I'd like to point out how incredibly frustrating ISPConfig 3 has been to work with so far... the documentation is miserable, the options in the control panel are not clear (some make no sense at all), and half the features don't appear to function as expected. I keep coming back here for help, and the help I get is usually inadequate and sometimes takes days to receive. Sometimes I get no help at all unless I practically beg. I REALLY REALLY want to give ISPConfig 3 a chance, but so far, my experience has been very discouraging. I feel like I'm wasting my time, and my server will never be up and running.

Are there paid support options for ISPConfig 3 which would give me _adequate_ support? I'm ripping my hair out trying to get things setup properly, and strongly considering changing to a paid product. If the paid support options are no better than this, then I give up.
Old 30th April 2010, 10:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
Additionally, I notice there's a PHP open_basedir field right in the options for the site in ISPConfig, and it already has all the necessary values filled in, but phpinfo() still shows "open_basedir" as "none". What is the point of this field if it doesn't actually do anything?
This depends on the PHP type that you selected. Not all options are possible for all php settings. suPHP_ConfigPath is an option that is only working when you select suphp. It does not work when you use mod_php or php as fastcgi.

Quote:
I'd like to point out how incredibly frustrating ISPConfig 3 has been to work with so far... the documentation is miserable, the options in the control panel are not clear (some make no sense at all), and half the features don't appear to function as expected. I keep coming back here for help, and the help I get is usually inadequate and sometimes takes days to receive. Sometimes I get no help at all unless I practically beg. I REALLY REALLY want to give ISPConfig 3 a chance, but so far, my experience has been very discouraging. I feel like I'm wasting my time, and my server will never be up and running.
So your compliant here is that poeple do not work fast enough in their free time for you? How many hours do you work for free for others every day? If you need faster support, you can order paid support.

By the way, there are ten thousands of servers systems running ISPCOnfig without problems, so if you have problems with your installation, then this does not mean that there are any problems with ISPCOnfig in general.

Quote:
Are there paid support options for ISPConfig 3 which would give me _adequate_ support? I'm ripping my hair out trying to get things setup properly, and strongly considering changing to a paid product. If the paid support options are no better than this, then I give up.
See ispconfig.org > support. To contact us for paid support, send an email to support [at] projektfarm [dor] de
Old 30th April 2010, 10:35

"There's worst, but it's more expensive" .
Old 30th April 2010, 11:09
Super Moderator

So why do you think that its worst?
Old 30th April 2010, 11:14

I think (hope) that yoplait is saying that there are worse control panels that cost more.

In my experience, that is true!

IPSConfig is an excellent control panel and its free!
...and what is better, if it doesn't do something the way I want it to do it, I can change it myself.

What could be better?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike_p For This Useful Post:
falko (30th April 2010), till (30th April 2010)
Old 30th April 2010, 21:52

Sorry for my english if it's not the good sentence, but mike_p has well understood what I wanted to say .
(maybe it's just a french free sentence ? ... I was thinking about "There's better, but it's less expensive....")

Free is beautiful, Ispconfig too !
Old 1st May 2010, 04:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
This depends on the PHP type that you selected. Not all options are possible for all php settings. suPHP_ConfigPath is an option that is only working when you select suphp. It does not work when you use mod_php or php as fastcgi.
Well obviously suPHP_ConfigPath only works for suPHP. I haven't quite reached that level of dumbness yet. But right now, for me, it's not working. Also, I clearly stated in my OP that I was using suPHP.

Also, I referred to the field directly above the "Apache Directives" text area which is labeled "PHP open_basedir" and contains a bunch of directories which all point to the web root. Why doesn't this field actually do anything? phpinfo() still shows open_basedir as "none". Nothing is working for enabling open_basedir.

Quote:
So your compliant here is that poeple do not work fast enough in their free time for you? How many hours do you work for free for others every day? If you need faster support, you can order paid support.
Nope, not at all. That's not my complaint in the least, my apologies if I expressed myself poorly. My complaint is that the documentation for ISPConfig 3 is almost non-existent. What little documentation there is is terrible. ISPConfig 3 is so different from ISPConfig 2 that using the latter's documentation with the former is impossible. When something doesn't work as intended or expected, there's nowhere to turn for help except this forum, and apparently the only people who actively participate are the main developers. This is in stark contrast to other forums like Joomla, phpBB and others, where help can be found readily from countless contributing members who aren't necessarily developers. I would love nothing more than learn ISPConfig 3 properly and then contribute on this forum, but learning it is a very aggravating task so far.

Quote:
By the way, there are ten thousands of servers systems running ISPCOnfig without problems, so if you have problems with your installation, then this does not mean that there are any problems with ISPCOnfig in general.
There are billions of smokers in the world. Millions of people choose to bite their nails. Countless people think the iPad is the best thing since sliced bread. Your argument is meaningless.

Your software is not a perfect nirvana. Like all such software, it currently has bugs and is missing some key things. If it were perfect, it would never need updates and it wouldn't currently be at version 3.0.2.1.

For example, what the heck are these two fields supposed to be? They're not even labeled!!!

Sure, eventually I figured out they were the UID and GID because it's essentially the same field layout as on the FTP User screen, but this is just another example of small things that generate confusion. Another thing that needs work: there's no option (that I found) to auto-create the DNS zone when creating a new site. This was an excellent feature in ISPConfig 2 that I can't find in ISPConfig 3 anymore.

Please don't sit there and pretend that "there aren't any problems with ISPCOnfig in general".

Quote:
See ispconfig.org > support. To contact us for paid support, send an email to support [at] projektfarm [dor] de
I don't know anymore... is paid support as bad as this? Where all my concerns get thrown back in my face and blamed on me? I already get that for free, I don't need to pay for it.
Old 1st May 2010, 08:42

The big problem matey is that your approach has been very rude and you tried to 'blame' ISPConfig for problems in the software that it controls.

For example there is no way that ISPConfig shoudl be held repsonsible for the 'deprecated #' warnings from PHP. That warning did not exist before version 5.3. Do you think ISPConfig should be repsonsible for replacing those comments in all the ini files that come with the other software packages?

And all your problems with localised PHP.ini: they're not down to ISPConfig yet you're having a rant about ISPCOnfig when you can't get it to work. Go to the PHP forums and have a hissy fit there instead.

If you set out to blame people, it's always going to come back in your face.

Troubleshooting at a distance requires a very careful analysis of what is going wrong: you then have to rule out any simple obvious causes. When offering support (whether free or paid) the last thing you need is having the person you're trying to help throw his toys out of his pram when you go through these steps.

You must know the famous story of the Wordperfect support line...

Last edited by mike_p; 1st May 2010 at 08:51.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike_p For This Useful Post:
till (1st May 2010)