Old 1st May 2010, 17:05

Question Stuck installing LAMP

Hello all,

Well this year i decided to start learning web design with the intent of starting a career in about two years. Deciding this i started with familiarising myself with php, css, html and sql, but i soon got frustrated with running xamp on my pc (it got really slow... a little old) and so i had a spare computer lying aroung and decided i would make a project out of learning about everything from a grounds up approach. so i researched and settled on installing centos 5.4 64 bit.

Everything was going well, i ended up installing a couple of times and now have it up and running nicely. I am doing everything in the terminal which has been new and fun for me.

In anycase i have configured mysql and apache and now have apache working well and mysql still lacks something... but the real problem is php. i dont know why but i cant get it working - i create a php.ini file in the html folder and i just cant see it in the browser. i have spent hours tinkering and trying to understand (the best way to learn) but am truly baffled now.

i was following this guide http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ispconfig-3-p6, but i left out all the mail, dns dhcp server stuff. since i have read numerous others... no progress.

So at this point i registered on howtoforge and asked for help.

what i am missing - i am sure it is something simple?

thanks in advance

dan
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd May 2010, 00:25
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Why do you put a php.ini file in your html folder?

I guess this tutorial is better suited for your needs: http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...entos-5.3-lamp

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
ChronicD (5th May 2010)
Old 5th May 2010, 15:28

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
Why do you put a php.ini file in your html folder?

I guess this tutorial is better suited for your needs: http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...entos-5.3-lamp
Hi sorry about that it was a typo, i actually made a info.php file there and yes i had already looked at that thread/guide previously.

haha but then i thought "hang on info.php - that doesnt sound right so i went back to the browser history and sure enough i had been typing php.info - damnable dyslexia!!! wasted vast quantities of my time.

so this summarizes my first thread and leaves me feeling sufficiently stupid for the next week at least... sigh