Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 26th May 2006, 23:09

Default How and when to update server aps?

Okay...

I've got Fedora RC4 now about 4 months on the server, and till now I've not done any 'real' updates. (install used: perfect_setup_fedora_core_4)

I'm only using Fedora RC4 with ISPconfig, and all the extra stuff that was needed to run ISPconfig (Apache 2.0.54, Postfix 2.2.2, BIND9.3.1, proftpd 1.210, MySQL 4.1.16, PHP 5.1.4, phpMyAdmin 2.6.4-pl3, Webmin 1.260 and Webalizer 2.01)

The only updates that I have done are the one that come with the new ISPconfig 2.2.3 (PHP, ClamAV, ect. ect.)

Now with Windows, you get this nice Windows update that is checking every day/hr if there is an update..

Now how do you do this with Fedora RC4?

Should I do a "yum check-update" and than a "yum install packagename", or is there some script that I can run to make sure that I've always got the system up to date?

Also.. As my system is running really nice now (after a lot of tweaking) I do not wat to lose the 'system' tweaks. Will this be okay after a yum action?

A thing that I do not want to do is update from RC4 to RC5!

Thank you....
Sponsored Links
Old 27th May 2006, 14:03
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge
Also.. As my system is running really nice now (after a lot of tweaking) I do not wat to lose the 'system' tweaks. Will this be okay after a yum action?
Normally your configuration files do not get replaced, but you can never know...

I don't have a Fedora system here right now. You can run
Code:
man yum
and
Code:
man up2date
That might give you some hints. Maybe you can create a cron job that checks for updates once per night.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 27th May 2006, 18:07

Thanks falko,

yum and up2date does look like what I need to use, but do I need to do this for every package separate?

Ant Fedora users here who can help?..

One more thing... I've got a server here (at the momen with Windows 2003 server), that I might reinstall with Debian.

Falko.. As you are a Debian user.. Do you think that Debina will install fine (without recompiling things) on a Dell Poweredge with dual Xeon 2.8 GHz and a 3ware RAID1 card? I do not want to run it in 64bit mode!
The server also got 4GB of memory, but I do not really see that as a problem thing.
Old 27th May 2006, 21:18
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Thanks falko,

yum and up2date does look like what I need to use, but do I need to do this for every package separate?

Ant Fedora users here who can help?..
Isn't there a command that let's you update all packages, something like apt-get upgrade on Debian?

Quote:
One more thing... I've got a server here (at the momen with Windows 2003 server), that I might reinstall with Debian.

Falko.. As you are a Debian user.. Do you think that Debina will install fine (without recompiling things) on a Dell Poweredge with dual Xeon 2.8 GHz and a 3ware RAID1 card? I do not want to run it in 64bit mode!
The server also got 4GB of memory, but I do not really see that as a problem thing.
I think the RAID card might cause problems, and maybe the 4GB of RAM. Just try it...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: