Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 19th March 2010, 17:11

Ok, i see how usefull is in large scale deployments.

For my needs, that i'm sure are common to many other people, maybe the best ispconfig implementation is with no mirroring (two standalone server or master/slave).

To solve the dns primary/secondary issue, im thinking in manually create a replication of only dns tables (would be great to check select what to mirror in the cp). As an easy alternative, can make slave mydns to query directly master db, but if master server goes down, no dns will work at all, so not a good option.

Thanks for your patience Till, i'm sure this thread will help many people to plan their scenario.
Sponsored Links
Old 19th March 2010, 18:16

I'm trying to add a --replicate-do-table to limit what have to be replicated, but i dont find where the replication is defined ... its not in /etc/mysql/my.conf

how can know what replication options ara active, and where are defined, when :

-choose to join a slave during expert installation

-activate mirror from cp
Old 19th March 2010, 18:18
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,650 Times in 4,460 Posts

ISPConfig is not using mysql replication as we found it to be not fault tolerant enough for our purposes and it was not possible to configure the records based on a more complex permission scheme.
Old 19th March 2010, 18:37

Ok, so how it works then ? where can i look to try to customize ? I'm interested in know what exactly does when master/slave and mirroring options are active.
Old 19th March 2010, 18:43
Super Moderator

Take a look at the file /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/classes/modules.inc.php it contains a function processDatalog which reads the datalog entrys from the master server, replicates them to the slave if nescessary and then raises the events for the server plugins and modules.
Old 19th March 2010, 18:58

ok, i see. Lots of php changes are required, and will fall outside main branch, so i will try to just sync dns tables with mysql replication.

What tables are synced between master/slave with no mirroring ?

I guess that with "mirroring" ALL tables are synced, right?
Old 19th March 2010, 19:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
What tables are synced between master/slave with no mirroring ?
Syncing is not based on tables. It is based on the server_id of individual records.

Quote:
I guess that with "mirroring" ALL tables are synced, right?
No. As explained above, the syncing is not based on tables as every slave gets only the absolute minimum data that is required to run its services for security reasons.

Mirroring is based on the changeset records that are saved in the sys_datalog table. If you enable mirroring, a specific server will replicate data that is intended for its server_id and also data that is intended for the server_id of the server that he mirrors. Other data from the same tables that is intended for other servers dont get mirrored.
Old 19th March 2010, 19:24
Super Moderator

If you want to do a manual mysql replication for dns only, then its enough to mirror just the dns_rr and dns_soa tables, as mydns reads only from these tables.
Old 19th March 2010, 19:51

OK, then if i understand correctly, in a master/slave scenario, one service RECORD, (if no mirroring active) will only be available in the db of the correspondant server_id. I guess that there is a trigger/cron that connects from slave to master to fetch the changes (because the sync db user is created in master). So i havent to worry for a "sync" colision if manually setting a dns* table mysql replication, simply just dont add dns zones to slave from cp.

It's safe to disable the mirror ? or better to uninstall/install again ?
Old 19th March 2010, 19:54
Super Moderator

Quote:
OK, then if i understand correctly, in a master/slave scenario, one service RECORD, (if no mirroring active) will only be available in the db of the correspondant server_id. I guess that there is a trigger/cron that connects from slave to master to fetch the changes (because the sync db user is created in master).
Yes, thats the way it works.

Quote:
So i havent to worry for a "sync" colision if manually setting a dns* table mysql replication, simply just dont add dns zones to slave from cp.
Yes.

Quote:
It's safe to disable the mirror ? or better to uninstall/install again ?
Just disable the mirror. If you additionally uncheck the dns checkbox which is on the same page then the mirror setting, then the second server will not be presented as an target server for dns records in the interface anymore.