Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th March 2010, 06:36

Default Howto Create Multiple Symlinks by Default

I have searched this forum and google but I can't find anything on this...

When making a new "site" ISPConfig will automatically create a sym-link in /var/www/domainname.com

I am using roundcube webmail and it is located in /var/www/roundcube
How am I to get ISPConfig to automatically create a symlink in the client web folder?
/var/www/domainname.com/web/webmail -> /var/www/roundcube

Normally I just ssh to server and create the link manually, which is OK if I am doing the setup of a new website, but if another of staff is doing they will always forget or skip this step.. can i make it auto?

I tried adding extra to the "Website Symlinks" in server config, and seperated them with , or ; but it just breaks it completely (not even the normal one gets made so I set it back to default setting)
Sponsored Links
Old 17th March 2010, 08:30
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,170 Times in 4,054 Posts

You can e.g. write a plugin for this and bind it to the same events then the apache plugin. Take a look at the apache plugin for details and there are also some threads in the dev forum on how to write plugins.

We do not offer such a function in ispconfig as it does not work reliably. It breaks when you use high security settings or suphp or php-fcgi as it is done on hosting systems.

Quote:
I tried adding extra to the "Website Symlinks" in server config, and seperated them with , or ; but it just breaks it completely (not even the normal one gets made so I set it back to default setting)
This field is only for symlinks pointing to the website and not for syminks in the website.
Old 17th March 2010, 16:38

i have no clue about apache plugins

can i suggest to implement such a feature, in the distant future? to be able to comma seperate multiple symlink directives in the "Website Symlinks" field?

this could help noob sys admin like myself, i am still learning linux and have a loooong way to go (if there is such thing as a finish line)
Old 17th March 2010, 16:53

If you are adding it for every site, why not put a just create an alias in apache.

Code:
vi /etc/apache2/conf.d/apache2-doc
Code:
Alias /webmail /var/www/roundcube/

<Directory "/var/www/roundcube/">
Options Indexes FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
AddDefaultCharset off
</Directory>
Then just restart apache, and all your sites will automatically end up at that when they go to domain.com/webmail
Old 17th March 2010, 19:45
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,170 Times in 4,054 Posts

Quote:
can i suggest to implement such a feature, in the distant future? to be able to comma seperate multiple symlink directives in the "Website Symlinks" field?
As I explained above, this field is for something completely different.
Old 18th March 2010, 08:01

thanks dclardy
i tried your suggestion and indeed it does work as intended.. now i don't need to make sym links in each sites web folder.. thankyou

thanks till
sorry i didn't realise, i am a big nooby