Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th March 2010, 19:13

Default Multiserver clarifications

Hi,

i've just installed a pair of ISPConfig 3.02 servers, both following "The Perfect Server" instructions, but the second one with the expert setup, to create it as slave of the first one. The installation finished without errors. I noticed that in the mysql user table of the master server, there is a new user "ispcsrv3", i guess that is used to the replication, and i guess it does have no more than the required permissions (i was afraid that root user was used when required in installation, so nice surprise).

From here, i didnt find any specific documentation to this multiserver setup, only diversificated posts in this forum, do i decided to start some tests to check the behaviour, but i have some questions, so maybe someone can gently enlight me.

I understand that the replication process is one direction only, that way i see that clients and templates created on master, are seen also in slave, but not in the other direction. This is working for me. I can also choose the server when adding a new service (like mail or web).

Checking the mydns behaviour in both servers, i see that templates created in master, are accessible from slave, but not in the other direction. I guess that is the expected behaviour. But when i create a zone in the master, it doesnt appear in the slave server, obviously in the other direction neither work. If i create the zones in both servers, updating a registry in the master doesnt update it in the slave. Maybe i am missing some step ? There is some way to debug it ?

other questions ,

if master server is down, the slave can still work and serve their associated resources (with the replicated info in their db) ?

If i make changes in a service from slave control panel, in a service created from master, the db,s will be desynced ? There is any chance that the replication process delete information created directly from slave control panel ? is then the expected action to always work from master control panel ?

Is the replication transaction ssl secured ?

Is there any list of prefix/templates variables anywhere ? there are variables for "Allow zone transfers","Also notify","Update ACL" in dns template ?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Old 18th March 2010, 20:13
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,317 Times in 4,170 Posts

In a ispconfig multiserver setup, only the master server has a interface. This is a must, if you would try to login to the interface on a slave and edit or add something there, it will break the replication.

Quote:
if master server is down, the slave can still work and serve their associated resources (with the replicated info in their db) ?
yes.

Quote:
If i make changes in a service from slave control panel, in a service created from master, the db,s will be desynced ? There is any chance that the replication process delete information created directly from slave control panel ? is then the expected action to always work from master control panel ?
slaves never have a controlpanel.

Quote:
Is the replication transaction ssl secured ?
Not by default. But all user passwords are encrypted anyway before they get transferred. But you can enable ssl encryption for mysql connections.

Quote:
Is there any list of prefix/templates variables anywhere ? there are variables for "Allow zone transfers","Also notify","Update ACL" in dns template ?
no.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:22

FIrst all, thanks for your quick response.

When you say that slaves never have control panel, you mean that is not installed (php files etc.) and accordingly not accessible ?

If so, i've done something wrong, because i'm able to log in slave's control panel (i've done an expert installation, don't remember if asked for a control panel option).

From here, and to reach a correct installation status, what can be done ? I can delete the slave database. Maybe the files in some dir ? i would like to start from scrath again (without install all base packages again).

JM.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:27
Super Moderator

Quote:
When you say that slaves never have control panel, you mean that is not installed (php files etc.) and accordingly not accessible ?
No. This means that must select 'n' when the installer in expert mode asks you if the controlpanel shall be installed.

Quote:
If so, i've done something wrong, because i'm able to log in slave's control panel (i've done an expert installation, don't remember if asked for a control panel option).
As long as you did not added or modified any data after you logged in, its ok. If you added or modified data, you have to reinstall the master / slave setup or at least delete all data (websites, domains, mail accounts, clients, etc.) in the master and slave.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:32

Did I understand for me if I make a DNS change on the master, the slave servers which I only use for NS are no going to be replicated?
Old 18th March 2010, 20:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmidgett View Post
Did I understand for me if I make a DNS change on the master, the slave servers which I only use for NS are no going to be replicated?
Yes, if you selected this server in the interface as target server for the dns records.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
mmidgett (18th March 2010)
Old 18th March 2010, 20:50

Till im not trying to hijack this mans post. I am going to do fresh VM and new ispconfig servers and wanted to make sure that I wasn't just beating up the wrong tree.

The master will not be slelected to serve NS records just to be add from the main CP as only have one ssl and thats for the master.
Old 18th March 2010, 20:59
Super Moderator

Quote:
The master will not be slelected to serve NS records just to be add from the main CP as only have one ssl and thats for the master.
Thats up to you. a ispconfig master can manage hundreds of servers and which services every node runs depends on your install only. You can have one or more dns, mail and webservers.
Old 18th March 2010, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
No. This means that must select 'n' when the installer in expert mode asks you if the controlpanel shall be installed.
from a strictly logical point of view, the existance of both options (join master=y & cp=yes) should define a valid scenario, if not maybe would be more clear only ask one of the two. I'm feeling a little dumb for havent choose the correct answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
As long as you did not added or modified any data after you logged in, its ok. If you added or modified data, you have to reinstall the master / slave setup or at least delete all data (websites, domains, mail accounts, clients, etc.) in the master and slave.
Actually i made tests in both CP, so i'm going to delete both databases, and try to start from scratch. Also, i would like to revert the state of files in slave as they would be if i selected NO CP. Can i remove some dir or its a fairly more complex task ?
Old 18th March 2010, 21:08

Me hijacking this post has helped me more than you know!!! My project has 2 years before we go live so maybe with your help and this awesome software we can make it possible. I will not forget you friend and when I move to my colocation I will offer any service that you might require as a donation back to this project. I am buying up HP DL380's for my server enviroment so power and storage will be at the finger tips.