Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > MyDNSConfig > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 13th April 2007, 16:16

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyberWizard
...Nowhere however, do I see anything for accessing MyDNS or MyDNSConfig in order to actually use the interface.
The main page for the system is a "landing page" that links to two URLs: the rPath Appliance Platform web management console, and the MyDNSConfig interface. Assuming that your system is called "ns.example.com", point your browser at "http://ns.example.com/" and you'll see both links.
Sponsored Links
Old 13th April 2007, 20:26

Thanks, that did it. It appears that port 80 does not work at all until after completing the rAA setup. It never occurred to me to go back and check it after setup!

So, from the observations of a novice. There should be some guidance that:

need to turn off the firewall, as there is no selection for allowing DNS communications, OR add DNS ports to the firewall (better solution).

need to install the Everything selection in order to get MyDNS loaded. Can Everything be set as the default selection?

It would be great if that last screen mentioned that, in order to access the rAA setup, one must use port 8003/8004, and after completing setup, go back to the standard port 80.

My final question, and I do not know if this is an issue with LochDNS or MyDNS, but DNS Report complains that this server does not respond on TCP, only UDP. How do I correct this?
Old 14th April 2007, 14:02
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
My final question, and I do not know if this is an issue with LochDNS or MyDNS, but DNS Report complains that this server does not respond on TCP, only UDP. How do I correct this?
Open /etc/mydns.conf and set
Code:
allow-tcp = yes
Then restart MyDNS.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 16th April 2007, 19:21

Arrow

Quote:
Thanks, that did it. It appears that port 80 does not work at all until after completing the rAA setup. It never occurred to me to go back and check it after setup!
I've never seen it not work at install time, but I do tend to use the virtual images rather than the anaconda image for testing point updates, and it's quite possible that I've just not noticed. I wonder if this had to do with the firewall, though?

Quote:
So, from the observations of a novice. There should be some guidance that:

need to turn off the firewall, as there is no selection for allowing DNS communications, OR add DNS ports to the firewall (better solution).

need to install the Everything selection in order to get MyDNS loaded. Can Everything be set as the default selection?

It would be great if that last screen mentioned that, in order to access the rAA setup, one must use port 8003/8004, and after completing setup, go back to the standard port 80.
I can tweak the firewall configuration for future releases.

I should simply disable the package selection screen so that all necessary software is always installed.

rAA should be modified to link to the MyDNSConfig console. You shouldn't need to go to rAA first; the landing page should be accessible as soon as you install, and it should point both to rAA and to MyDNSConfig.

Thanks for your detailed and useful response, and glad to hear that the system is working for you now (assuming falko's advice about allow-tcp = yes has resolved the other issue you encountered).
Old 16th April 2007, 20:24

Yes, it is now responding to TCP DNS requests, so that is working. Today I am working on the second DNS server, so I get to play with that functionality. I love it when progress is being made!
Old 19th April 2007, 17:53

Arrow Update: Month of PHP bugs

Just a note for anyone worried about the security of their lochDNS systems due to security issues exposed during the "month of PHP bugs" -- as of last night, all updated lochDNS systems will include a new version of PHP that has been patched for the relevant security issues.
Old 5th May 2007, 11:04

Default dnscache

Hi,

i'm new to mydns, so looking the faq i found this answer to my problem:

http://mydns.bboy.net/faq/#9
-----
How do I use MyDNS but still allow external (recursive) lookups, like for "www.google.com"?
To do this you need to use a program that does recursive DNS lookups. I recommend dnscache.
----

the only solution is to install dnsccahe on the appliance?
other way to resolve non-local domain names?

tnx
z
Old 5th May 2007, 13:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,331 Times in 4,183 Posts

The recommended way is to use a DNS cachcing program. e.g. dnsmasq as described in this howto:

http://www.howtoforge.com/mydns_mydn...on_ubuntu_edgy
Old 6th May 2007, 20:18

Tnx for the link and the hint,

i have installed as the tutorial (well, adapting to rpath linux and using conary to install dnsmasq 2.38), and all seems to work from the virtual machine.
But from the others pc on the lan it seems that the caching function doesn't work; using dig to test the query time it seem too high.
No problem at all with the forward. Any idea on why the cache only works from the localhost... i've tried lot of config but no luck...

tnx
.z
Old 7th May 2007, 17:19

Default finding and configuring dnsmasq

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00te
(well, adapting to rpath linux and using conary to install dnsmasq 2.38)
I want to be clear for other readers of this thread that dnsmasq is available for installation in lochDNS by running the command "conary update dnsmasq".

Quote:
But from the others pc on the lan it seems that the caching function doesn't work; using dig to test the query time it seem too high.
No problem at all with the forward. Any idea on why the cache only works from the localhost...
dnsmasq has a lot of configuration options, as you've discovered. I assume that you have tried increasing the cache size. The dnsmasq that I assume you have installed (from contrib.rpath.org@rpl:1) is set up primarily to integrate with dhcpcd as a local redirecting cache for laptop systems that are booted in different contexts at different times, and might have some subdomains that should be sought sometimes via ethernet and sometimes via VPN. In particular, the /etc/dnsmasq.conf file it includes contains the line "resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf.static" which you probably want to comment out if you haven't already.