Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > MyDNSConfig > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th May 2006, 20:07

Default LochDNS: MyDNS + MyDNSConfig software appliance

I used rBuilder Online to make it easier to get MyDNS and MyDNSConfig set up and working together "out of the box". I call my project lochDNS, and I invite others to join the project and improve it.

lochDNS is available as software appliances and as a system installer ISO image. The virtual filesystem image and tarball image work as Xen domU instances. The virtual hard drive image works with qemu and parallels. Hard drive, VMWare (Player and ESX), VHD (Microsoft and Virtual Iron), and anaconda-based installer images that can install on hardware or on fully-virtualized systems are all available. A public AMI is available for immediate use for all EC2 users. LochDNS is available both for 32-bit and 64-bit systems.

If you use lochDNS, feel free to leave a comment here. Thanks!

Last edited by michaelkjohnson; 22nd October 2007 at 19:31. Reason: 64-bit images now available in 0.12 release
Sponsored Links
Old 17th May 2006, 20:52
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,727 Times in 2,565 Posts
Thumbs up

That sounds interesting.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
The Following User Says Thank You to falko For This Useful Post:
michaelkjohnson (27th March 2007)
Old 18th May 2006, 08:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

It will be nice to have some easy installable images from MyDNSConfig.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
michaelkjohnson (27th March 2007)
Old 18th May 2006, 16:33

OK, since till is interested, I created installable ISO images.

The one limitation I know about right now is that the firewall settings in the installer do not actually get applied to the system, due to missing software in the image; right now, you have to write your own iptables rules if you care about having a firewall. It isn't really that important, though, since the only services running on the system are essential services that are part of the point of running the server.

Please post feedback in this thread! Thanks!

Last edited by michaelkjohnson; 18th May 2006 at 21:34.
Old 15th August 2006, 17:33

Arrow New lochDNS images available

I have released a new version of lochDNS . This update includes firewall configuration tools, rPath Appliance Agent for web-based system configuration and automated updates, and base operating system updates since the last release.

Please post to this thread if you use lochDNS and are interested in seeing continuing updates to lochDNS. Thanks!
Old 1st November 2006, 18:56

lochDNS 0.7 is released. lochDNS now includes Xen images, available both as a filesystem image (suitable for using with blktap or loopback mounting) and as a tarball image that you can deploy into any Xen domU instance. Of course, the existing VMware, QEMU, Parallels, and anaconda system installation options are still available.

I have modified how the rPath Appliance Agent is presented; it now uses a separate web server instance (lighttpd) so that udpates to the apache web server do not halt updates.

For information on making use of the domU images, take a look at Xen Solutions Using rPath Technologies in the rPath wiki.
Old 15th November 2006, 01:09

Are these DomU easily transferable to a Xen VPS provider? Can they be bundled in such a way that a Xen provider can easily load them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkjohnson
lochDNS 0.7 is released. lochDNS now includes Xen images, available both as a filesystem image (suitable for using with blktap or loopback mounting) and as a tarball image that you can deploy into any Xen domU instance. Of course, the existing VMware, QEMU, Parallels, and anaconda system installation options are still available.

I have modified how the rPath Appliance Agent is presented; it now uses a separate web server instance (lighttpd) so that udpates to the apache web server do not halt updates.

For information on making use of the domU images, take a look at Xen Solutions Using rPath Technologies in the rPath wiki.
Old 16th November 2006, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipfc
Are these DomU easily transferable to a Xen VPS provider? Can they be bundled in such a way that a Xen provider can easily load them.
Yes. Different Xen VPS providers have different preferences for deploying images; the filesystem image is very easy to use for Xen VPS providers willing to take it, and the tarball can be turned into almost any image type they require from you. Some may be willing to take the tarball image itself and unpack it in your domU to initialize the domU for you.
Old 16th November 2006, 16:06

Default Using rBuilder

After reading about your appliance I went to the rBuilder website to see how it works. The documentation or forums there is rather sparse, or I am probably not looking in the right place.

Is there some place there where I can acquire more help?
Old 17th November 2006, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipfc
After reading about your appliance I went to the rBuilder website to see how it works. The documentation or forums there is rather sparse, or I am probably not looking in the right place.

Is there some place there where I can acquire more help?
Yes. The central location for information on rPath technologies is the rPath wiki, and there is whole section devoted to rBuilder. When the documentation is incomplete from your perspective, we want to know about it. You can ask questions in real time on the #conary IRC channel on the freenode IRC network to get quick responses. We consider bugs in documentation to be real bugs, and you can file those bugs in our Jira issue tracking system. Thanks for asking!