Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 21st January 2010, 02:56

Default Using Ubuntu Server as a Gateway/Router/Firewall

Hi, thanks in advance for any help you offer. I really appreciate all the help you experts provide us simpletons!

Here is what I am trying to do:

I am building a server based on Ubuntu 9.04 (I've read a lot of people complaining about 9.10, but feel free to correct me if this fear is unfounded).

I'm using the Perfect Server w/ ISPConfig3 to run a few small scale, personal websites (I do not know if ISPC3 is the best solution, but that's what is in the tutorial).

I'm going to use samba to run a 7TB raid5 fileshare (hardware RAID) for the computers on the network.

I've found plenty of good gigabit switches, but few routers that don't cost thousands. I figure that since I will have the server running 24/7 anyways, I could use it as the router/gateway.

I've searched around and found help online, but I would like to find a solution that integrates a web-based management Interface so I can setup and configure the gateway/firewall/router functions from a web browser.

Does this exist, and if so, what do you recommend? I would like it to be full-featured, such as software like DD-WRT or Tomatoware (QoS, Forwarding, Monitoring, Filtering, etc.), or even better.

Unfortunately, I am still quite new to the linux world, but I am coming along.

Is this a realistic idea? Does the software for this exist, and if so, is it sufficient to run a secure home network? And what precations need to be taken to make sure outside traffic coming through the gateway does not have access to other areas of the server (such as the network file share)?

Thanks again! I know many of these questions are basic.

-Seth
Sponsored Links
Old 21st January 2010, 16:45
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,578 Posts

Unfortunately this is not trivial, and I don't know if there's a web-based control panel for this... The easiest would be to buy a hardware router (they are not very expensive), e.g. from Linksys, and install DD-WRT on it (if the pre-installed firmware doesn't already offer all functions that you need).

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 26th January 2010, 11:55

Unless your running a fiber gigabit internet connection, there is no need to have any other router then your average 50$ one you can buy from your local shop. Otherwise your going to have to mess around with iptables (for the firewall obviously) and enable ip forwarding to have your pc work as a router, however any misconfiguration puts your 7tb on the web which you might not want.