Old 30th August 2005, 02:35

Default Using FTP

I installed ProFTP using the Perfect Install FC4 HowTo now I need to know HowTo use it!

I have only used FTP via WS_FTP client before. After much research and testing I have determined that ptoftpd.conf seems to be correct and I can log into ftp as anonymous via the console but I am not sure what to do after that. I found a small tut and tried a command but these are the results:
Code:
[Lance@server1 ~]$ ftp ftp.thefractalfarm.net
Connected to server1.thefractalfarm.net.
220 192.168.2.3 FTP server ready
500 AUTH not understood
500 AUTH not understood
KERBEROS_V4 rejected as an authentication type
Name (ftp.thefractalfarm.net:Lance): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete email address as your password.
Password:
230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> put bookmarks.html /Lance/test
local: bookmarks.html remote: /Lance/test
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,3,128,107).
550 /Lance/test: Permission denied
ftp> put bookmarks.html /ftp
local: bookmarks.html remote: /ftp
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,3,128,108).
550 /ftp: Permission denied
ftp> put bookmarks.html /home/ftp
local: bookmarks.html remote: /home/ftp
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,2,3,128,109).
550 /home/ftp: Permission denied
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
[Lance@server1 ~]$
Am I do something wrong? Note that this is on the same box that has my ftp server also and I am not using ISPConfig.

Does anyone know how I would use WS_FTP from my MS machine to connect to my FTP? I have tried anonymous with my e-mail as password and I get "failure to connect to ftp.thefractalfarm.net". I can however use the browser on my MS box to go to my FTP site. Would drop and drag work there, didn't think to try it.
Sponsored Links
Old 30th August 2005, 10:34

try this post on the second page: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...ghlight=fedora

It helped me log in on my ftp client on Fedora 4. Also try passive on/off.
Old 31st August 2005, 03:34

okay... I created the pam.d/ftp file. Whether that helped or not don't know for sure but I was able to log in as anonymous and as user.

I guess I need to know what commands can be used and what they are used for. I'll check ProFTPDs home page for that.

Meantime... I switched over to my MS box and tryed to log in using WS_FTP as the same user I logged in via console and still couldn't get it to connect. Actually the window at the bottom of WS_FTP that shows status and progress indicates "Connecting to MYIP:21", then "connected to MYIP Port 21. But then it gives "! Receive error: connection reset" followed by "Connection failed ftp.mydomain.net"

Anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong? I checked my router and Port 21 is open.
Old 31st August 2005, 09:46
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,597 Times in 4,407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by latcarf
okay... I created the pam.d/ftp file. Whether that helped or not don't know for sure but I was able to log in as anonymous and as user.

I guess I need to know what commands can be used and what they are used for. I'll check ProFTPDs home page for that.

Meantime... I switched over to my MS box and tryed to log in using WS_FTP as the same user I logged in via console and still couldn't get it to connect. Actually the window at the bottom of WS_FTP that shows status and progress indicates "Connecting to MYIP:21", then "connected to MYIP Port 21. But then it gives "! Receive error: connection reset" followed by "Connection failed ftp.mydomain.net"

Anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong? I checked my router and Port 21 is open.
Have you checked that your proftpd is listening on all IP's and not only on 127.0.0.1?
Old 1st September 2005, 00:26
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

Quote:

Have you tried to use "Passive Transfers" in your FTP client? In most cases this solves firewall problems.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 1st September 2005, 00:42

till... Where do I check to see what IPs it is listening on? I just checked proftpd.conf and do not see anything regarding IP and FTP does not seem to be listed in the System Settings> Server Settings.

falko... hope your having a good holiday! I checked WS_FTP and passive is not one of the options it seems, been running on auto detect.

Thanks
Lance
Old 1st September 2005, 11:46
Super Moderator

Quote:
till... Where do I check to see what IPs it is listening on? I just checked proftpd.conf and do not see anything regarding IP and FTP does not seem to be listed in the System Settings> Server Settings.
Try this command and please post the output to the forum:

Code:
netstat -tap | grep ftp
Old 2nd September 2005, 03:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Try this command and please post the output to the forum:

Code:
netstat -tap | grep ftp
Code:
[root@server1 ~]# netstat -tap | grep ftp
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LIST EN      21008/proftpd: (acc
[root@server1 ~]#
There wasn't anything after (acc...

I'm a newb but this doesn't look right!

I did some searching on the internet but couldn't find a whole lot regarding IP info for FTP except for stuff on <virtual host> and masqurading. From what I read it did not seem to apply to what I need. Hope you can help!

thanks
Lance
Old 2nd September 2005, 09:28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Code:
[root@server1 ~]# netstat -tap | grep ftp
tcp        0      0 *:ftp                       *:*                         LIST EN      21008/proftpd: (acc
[root@server1 ~]#
There wasn't anything after (acc...

I'm a newb but this doesn't look right!

I did some searching on the internet but couldn't find a whole lot regarding IP info for FTP except for stuff on <virtual host> and masqurading. From what I read it did not seem to apply to what I need. Hope you can help!
Hi Lance,

this output is OK. The chars are only missing because the line of your terminal was not long enough. The relevant part is "*:ftp" this means that the FTRP Daemon is listening on all IP's.
Old 2nd September 2005, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Hi Lance,

this output is OK. The chars are only missing because the line of your terminal was not long enough. The relevant part is "*:ftp" this means that the FTRP Daemon is listening on all IP's.
so that means that it has to be something in my proftpd.conf doesn't it? I have checked my router a couple times and port 21 is open for FTP.