Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th January 2010, 19:22

Default Whats Needed for install of ispCP on a debian OS from scratch

Hi guys I've been looking for the ideal control panel, a free equivilant to cPanel that to setup on a debian 5.0 lenny server, so that I may create my website and host it from home. at the moment Im using a hosting company but would like to create my own version from home. & ideally I would like a website were customers would have to register to my site, and have some sort of ticket system where customers can place orders send support tickets, make payments etc.
From what Ive read I think ispCP an answer to my needs, and I just wanted to know what sort of debian setup would I need to install ispCP on. like would I need to setup a debian LAMP server and then install ispCP or am I way off and would I need a different setup.
Ideally a tutorial that covers the setup from scratch would be great, but if not then advise on what's needed would help too...

Also I have no experience with raid and I currently have 2x HDD's on the server, ideally I would like to have both HDD's combined to make 1 huge home directory. If I can also get some advise or a tutorial to accomplish this project, that would be great.

I attempted ispconfig3 aka "The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]" but Im not sure if it offers what I need, and prefferable I would like to have some sort of website wizard install option, like on my current host. were u follow a few clicks and you have your website ready for modification.

Thanks in advance
huss

Last edited by husskii; 4th January 2010 at 19:34.
Sponsored Links
Old 5th January 2010, 05:31

try this , http://gnupanel.org
and plz let me know if it was usefull
The Following User Says Thank You to gabak For This Useful Post:
husskii (5th January 2010)
Old 5th January 2010, 07:06

Hi gabak thanks for the info I think gnupanel could be a keeper I have a few more question which I hope you dnt mind
Im pretty much a beginner in the website industry and I appreciated your patience

what I want to use gnupanel for is to manage my domain / subdomains and host my websites etc, will I need to setup my server as vitual servers, 1 VPS having the admin interface and then the 2nd vps having the user interface, or would I be able to host my website from the admin interface on its own.

also ideally I would like to have applications setup for example, atm Im using a hosting company which offers cPanel and I have tools such as website templates, website builder, 1 click install website restore, setup email accounts, webmail account etc.
I also want to setup some sort of ticket system where were customers can click on a product and it will lead them to, I guess checkout where they can make payments.

The aim of this project is to move away from the company that hosts my site and setup my own at home. I had a play with all 3 versions [admin, reseller, user] which one of the 3 would be best suited to meet my needs.

also do you know of any tutorials to help install, atm Im tossing up between ispCP and gnupanel as they both seem to be the same in my opinion except for the fact I noticed with gnupanel it has an extra tool to except payments where I didnt see any tools for payments in ispCP, but Im looking for what will be easier to setup, and Im having trouble finding any howto's like howtoforge have, for say there perfect server tutorials

Thank you for all the help,

Last edited by husskii; 5th January 2010 at 11:03.
Old 5th January 2010, 13:32

look first of all you need an optical internet connection otherwise it wont be reliable to have your own hosting.
If you want to have your own hosting you need to have a lot of things in order to make it work. (and being reliable)
Regarding to all of those questions you asked me , i never installed them but i know ppl who are using cpanel and gnupanel.
in the past i had WAMP for windows to have my own hosting. just one site and for me to keep it simple.
there is other appls called ISPconfig , that you should check it out.
of course dont you have to have an static ip too.
good server , ups , etc
The Following User Says Thank You to gabak For This Useful Post:
husskii (6th January 2010)
Old 6th January 2010, 04:36

Hi gabak
Thanks for the advise, my isp isnt an issue, I am lucky to have a static IP and have all the available ports open to be able to host my own website from home. also I have the option to have my own.
all I pretty much need is the right tools to do so, I did have a look at ispconfig and actually installed it, but was having issues with it, like after setup of ispconfig, I would have trouble with setting up elgg and really had no clue on how to install other apps..

I was hoping for something that would give me the freedom of cPanel but without the cost. Im just starting up and funds are quiet low, so paying for something like cPanel would be virtually impossible. If ispconf was able to instal a software like say website builder, that would do the trick, because at the moment Im playing around woth adobe dream weaver but its very hard and taking too much time. its took me 2whole days just to get the banner design, so imagine how long it would take for the whole site lol..

but ye maybe if i could get ispconfig with a website builder that would be great, then I can say purchase whmcs for about $20 p/m and that would look after the ticket system.

but ye I couldnt even get elgg to work properlly, like I installed and set it up, but when it came to
something went wrong and it wouldnt except my database details, and from there I wasnt able to continue. I attempted the setup at least 4x maybe more and allways I would get stuck there.
Im going to reattempt it today I guess, but ye it just doesnt have the freedom of installing software like website builder, well not that i know of anyway...

thanks
Old 6th January 2010, 14:21
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,579 Posts

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing...onfig-3-system

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 6th January 2010, 15:05

hi falko
thanks mate but thats the tutorial i followed after i completed youre tutorial "The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) [ISPConfig 3]" nut for some reason it wont accept my config of the database and instead of getting I get an error, about the database not being installed correctly or something along them lines.. Im actually reattempting now for the 5th time, and if I get the same error again ill post a screen shot.

oh I should add the ispconfig i use is a newer version then the one in the tutorial, which is 3.0.1.6 and jailkit 2.10, so some features shown in the screen shots of the features in ispconfig (which are also ticked to use) in the tutorial "Installing Elgg On An ISPConfig 3 System" are not in the newer version of ispconfig I have.

could that be the reason?
Old 7th January 2010, 16:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,579 Posts

Can you post the exact error message?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 9th January 2010, 18:48

Default apache2apache2: could not reliably determine the servers FQN?

Hi falko I went back and reinstalled ""perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3""

and now when I tried to follow the tutorial ""installing-elgg-on-an-ispconfig-3-system""

I couldnt get past the first step,
[img]http://images.howtoforge.com/images/elgg_ispconfig3_debian_etch/big/5.jpg[/ing]
I setup as instructed and when I tried to go to my url, so I can continue to install elgg, the error is
Quote:
Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at server1.monsterhost.co.cc.
which I think It might be because when I installed apache on the first tutorial, but am not sure, also not sure how to fix this.
I recived the following error

would u know why its not determining my domain name?
I could really use some help here please.

I can only reach ISPconfig3 Squirrell, myphpadmin etc via my ip.

thanks
Old 9th January 2010, 19:51

Default ive stuffed up once again [what a pain]

I thought maybe it was my domain name, not pointing to my server, so I tried updating the name servers as shown in the comments on page 4, of
""perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3-p4"" which I did on my previous setup ""url seedmachines.com""
[quote]Submitted by mbunal (registered user) on Fri, 2009-10-16 17:30.

look for /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver YOUR.NS1.IP
nameserver YOUR.NS2.IP[/qoute]

to my router dns IP's and that didn't work, so I then tried forwarding my domain name at co.cc to my Reverse DNS and that didn't work, & while I tried all this, ispconfig broke its connection, so I went back to co.cc site and changed the settings back to what they were, which was, I had used my Reverse DNS as my name server in co.cc site for my domain.

after that I tried restarting apache2 and I received the following error.

Code:
server1:~# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Restarting web server: apache2apache2: Syntax error on line 281 of /etc/apache2/apache2.conf: Syntax error on line 46 of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/server1.monsterhost.co.cc.vhost: Expected </VirtualHost> but saw </Directory>
 failed!
so i tried rebooting and still same error, and now I cant even access ispconfig.