Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Plugins/Modules/Addons

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 31st May 2010, 20:02

Default Interesting Error

Hey g00gl3,

I'm receiving this error with the new version of this script and just wanted to see if it's actually something I should worry about..

Code:
/bin/tar: /adm: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
It appears as if the backup script is still taking a full backup of the ispconfig information but this error is just making a bit nervous. Is this something that I should be worried about?
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:35

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp51483 View Post
Hey g00gl3,

I'm receiving this error with the new version of this script and just wanted to see if it's actually something I should worry about..

Code:
/bin/tar: /adm: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
/bin/tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
It appears as if the backup script is still taking a full backup of the ispconfig information but this error is just making a bit nervous. Is this something that I should be worried about?
Hello!

This error appears because you don't have a dir called "/adm" please check the 131 line of the script, variable "DIRECTORIES" and set what you want to back-up.
In your case there is nothing to worry if the other dir's are backed up. tar just can't backup a non-existent file
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:40

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch_za View Post
change back-res line 356

#Clean temp dir
rm -rf $tmpdir/excluded
# End of script
log "All backup jobs done. Exiting script!"
}

#Clean temp dir
rm -rf $tmpdir/excluded
# End of script
log "All backup jobs done. Exiting script!"
mail -s "Daily backup of $COMPUTER `date +'%F'`" "$email" < $tmpdir/maildata
}
Thank you for help! I'll modify the script for public with this and other small improvements pretty soon.
Old 3rd June 2010, 18:49

Lightbulb Attention at automated delete of files

I've found that if you move around back-up dir the m-time can change and the script does not work as expected deleting old files, because is using the m-time to find what files to delete when there is no more space.

There is NO problem is you don't touch those files and dirs created by back-res. But if you do be sure the m-time is corectly set.

If you do not have set
Code:
del_en="yes"
you can ignore this message, as the script does NOT free up space for you, if you don't have any.
Old 4th June 2010, 01:03

Default more detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by go0ogl3 View Post
Hello!

ISPConfig 3 is a great piece of software. I want to contribute with a little script, maybe somebody will make a module and insert it in ISPConfig 3 if it's usefull.

I use ISPConfig 3 in production on a small little used server and I have created a backup and restore script.

The link: http://www.eurosistems.ro/back-res

Thank you for good free software!
Ah well there was an interesing exercise. A week after loading and running the script - a small production server collapsed. 64 bit, Debian, ISPConfig3.0.2.1 (web and mail server), it's one of the secondary servers in a multi server set up - which also complicates things no end and alas it does NOT restore... in fact restoring rips the heart right out of the box... leaving me with a very dead box that won't even run a shell... gotta love computers....

Now I have an old compaq rack mount G3 that I was playing with to see what the mirror options of ISPCOnfig3 did (and thats not a great deal it seems ) but - what would it take to get this box loaded whatever I can salvage from the back-res backup?

Last edited by Torch_za; 4th June 2010 at 14:43. Reason: Rebuild a secondary server in a multi server setup...
Old 7th June 2010, 10:15

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch_za View Post
Ah well there was an interesing exercise. A week after loading and running the script - a small production server collapsed. 64 bit, Debian, ISPConfig3.0.2.1 (web and mail server), it's one of the secondary servers in a multi server set up - which also complicates things no end and alas it does NOT restore... in fact restoring rips the heart right out of the box... leaving me with a very dead box that won't even run a shell... gotta love computers....

Now I have an old compaq rack mount G3 that I was playing with to see what the mirror options of ISPCOnfig3 did (and thats not a great deal it seems ) but - what would it take to get this box loaded whatever I can salvage from the back-res backup?
Hello,

you can restore the server if you have all full* files from a month (the most current, the better). Then you need all incremental files, and database dumps. You have a corrupt filesystem? If you do, make a clone of the drive onto another drive then run fsck. That way if the source drive is having bad sectors, you can recover more data.

After recover you must create special dirs (/proc, /sys, /dev, etc) then run grub or lilo to restore the MBR of the drive, after this, if all is ok you sholud have a server like it was on the last incremental day

If you have any problems, post here, I'll try to help you.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:16

Thanks!! It works perfect!
Old 9th June 2010, 04:56

Hey g00gl3,

Hypothetical scenario that I'd like to get your advice on if you don't mind

Could I take a full backup from one server and using the same script on a different server with ispconfig installed, completely restore everything from the first server? essentially creating an exact copy of the initial?

so Server 1 > run back res

scp files over to Server 2

Server 2 (exact setup as server 1) > run back res restore mode, and essentially have an exact copy?
Old 24th June 2010, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp51483 View Post
Hey g00gl3,

Hypothetical scenario that I'd like to get your advice on if you don't mind

Could I take a full backup from one server and using the same script on a different server with ispconfig installed, completely restore everything from the first server? essentially creating an exact copy of the initial?

so Server 1 > run back res

scp files over to Server 2

Server 2 (exact setup as server 1) > run back res restore mode, and essentially have an exact copy?
The answer is yes it's possible. Just take care and be sure you have all valuable data backed up before you begin. Try to have all required binaries (tar especially) already installed on the second server.

I've cloned this way servers and it works, the only thing is you must pay attention to any error wich may occur and correct it.

For first try I suggest you use a different partition for the / (root) and instruct your bootloader to dual-boot between de new and old system, this is the safest approach.

Please write here so we can help others too.
Old 28th June 2010, 04:42

Default Currently working on it

Hey g00gl3,

I am in the process currently of testing out this theory, however for now on my prod boxes I'm just using the mysql replication / rsync route. I have two test boxes that I am playing around with the back-res script so I will touch base soon on if I was successful or not

Cheers