Old 8th May 2006, 09:45

Default Samba server on RHES 4

Hi there,

i am currently planning to use a Redhat ES4 running SAMBA to hold production testing data(biotech company), i have a few questions as to A) the hardware, B) mounts/partitions C) authenication method. This samna server will be the first i have used in a production environment and i have limited LINUX experience, mainly seting up swoothwall proxies and such.

A) i am using RAID 1 for the system and RAID 5 for the data. Is using 2x300GB drives in RAID 1 for the system partitions over kill? (i want this so all my 6 drives are the same this will allow me to use my 6th drive as a universal hot spare). otherwise i could you 2x73gb or 2x 146gb or should i just use 1 drive RAID 0?

B) how should i setup my mounts/partitions for a SAMBA server doing both file and print? keeping the above in mind?

C) i need this server/network as i have legacy dos/win95 machines that can no longer connect to our companies network as we want to upgrade it to 2003AD. i dont know anyone who would like the task of connecting dos machines to Active directory.

i am pretty sure that what i have will be okay i am just making sure i get it right, its my first project over $100k so i want it to go well.

thanks for any advice or help you can provide.
beren.
Sponsored Links