setting up LAN and WAN in centos
Please I really need some help in setting up this project I am working on. Please read and input your opinion.
HARDWARES I'M USING:
Dell poweredge 1850 (comes with two ethernet cards: eth0, eth1)
Netgear wireless Router
Linksys RTP Vonage router (used for the VOIP phones)
Netgear 8 port switch
1. I connected an ethernet wire from the cable modem into the WAN port of my NETGEAR wireless router.
CABLE MODEM ------> NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTER
2. Then I connected another ethernet wire from my NETGEAR wireless router to the WAN port of LINKSYS RTP Vonage router.
This way I can use the router to make calls.
3. The I connected another ethernet wire from my NETGEAR wireless router to a LAN port on LINKSYS RTP Vonage router.
This way I can acess my wireless router from the Linksys router.
4. I turned off the dhcp on both routers.
- so my setting for netgear router is:
-LAN IP= 10.0.10.1
-forward port = 8080 (so that I can remotely access my linksys from the negear location)
SETTINGS FOR LINKSYS RTP ROUTER
Internet connection: static ip
IP address: 10.0.10.2
Gateway: 10.0.10.1 (This is the ip address of my Netgear router which is connected to the internet).
DNS: I used the ip address given to me by my ISP.
Opened port 8080 for remote access.
5. I connected eth0 of my poweredge server into the linksys port.
Then configured the server as the DHCP, DNS BIND server.
I issued it a static ip address.
So as a recap, this is what I have so far:
CABLE MODEM ------> NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTER(2 ethernet wires)-----> wan and lan port of LINSYS RTP VONAGE ROUTER--->DELL POWEREDGE SERVER
6. My DHCP server and bind works perfectly because my DHCP server can distribute ip with specified ranges
MY DNS bind server also work after several testing.
I configured my DNS bind server using WEBMIN. If i stop the BIND service using WEBMIN, all computers will not be able to access the internet
And when I start it back, they can all access the internet.
7. Anyways, back to the subject, so my other computers (both windows and linux) gets to the internet via my poweredge server which
is hiding behind two routers? Right? Is my analogy correct?
8. My main problem is that I want to configure a private LAN that won't have access to the internet.
I want to set this LAN on the second ethernet card (eth1) on my server.
9. How do I set this up?
Remember, I still have a switch I have not connected yet. So does an ethernet cable comes from the eth1 to the switch?
If so, how will other computers connect to the server remotely?
Do I need a special software to do this?
all help will be appreciated.