Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Technical

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd July 2009, 08:37

Default Which Linux version is more friendly?

Iīm running ISPConfig on a Fecora Core 6, but I'm having a lot of troubles, so I want to change to another Linux version (Ubuntu, CentOS, etc) which version do you recommend? (GUI prefered)
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd July 2009, 09:56

Hard to say .. what are those troubles you're talking about?

Anyway, i've used redhat, slackware, ubuntu, debian .. i'm sticking with debian for my servers and ubuntu for my workstation.
GUI is nice, but i found that working in the console is faster (imho)
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:37

OK, It's a Fedora Core 7, sorry the mess up, however, the problems I'm having are as follows:

On the Online server, suddenly it beggins to slow down until it freezes (this problem began yesterday)

On the backup server, I canīt be able to install ANY version of Fedora (Tried from 6 to 10 on new discs), just never start the GUI and even if I try to use it as it is and install ISPConfig, just can't access the ISPConfig console web page, however, if I open the IP address, I get the Apache Welcome page (which it's suppossed to be override by one from the ISPConfig). all of that with no one error message.

Apparently the online server is stable now, but the ISPConfig do not start, I'm installing a new version of ISPConfig to see if the problem solves.

Anyway, if you have any idea or advice (beside of throwing out of the window ) let me know.

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd July 2009, 10:53

When a server starts to slow down until it freezes sounds like it's hitting the swap (runs out of normal memory and starts using the swap) when that happens, the server's load will start rising and you'll get a slow server. how much memory does your server have?

What i'm wondering is, if all those GUI installs give you problems, why not try a "normal" console installation, it's practicly the same, the questions asked / actions done are the same. the difference is is that you're in a graphical environment or a console environment. give it a shot, it's really not that hard, just take your time

Though the GUI installation problems can relate to your videocard, you have a generic ati/nvidia based card? else i'd suggest to run a live cd (ubuntu f.e.) to see if those run.
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:22

OK, Mark, let me invite you to my nightmare, jeje (by the way it seems that my primary server is up and running again)

Both servers (primary and backup) use a motherboard Gigabyte GA-8I865GME-775, P4 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, HD Maxtor 160 Gb SATA.

The graphics card it's integrated to the motherboard (however I tried to install it with a PCI Express Card in to another machine with the same results), so at this point I have 2 servers apparently the same, the Fedora 7 was installed in both servers with the same disc, but a have GUI in one (Server A) and in the other donīt run (Server B) of them, anyone would say that is a hardware problem, donīt you agree?, but if you swap the discs of the servers, then the Server A lost the GUI and Server B starts with GUI, again, no matter wich version of Fedora I install, never starts the GUI (Tried Fedora 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, even I made the Fedora 7 disc again, just in case), already tried a normal console installation and apparently everything went ok, but when I install ISPConfig, it never start (no error logs), recently ( about 3 hours ago) installed on Server B Ubuntu 9.04, still, no GUI.

So right now my Primary Server is online so I am laughing about all that, but still donīt have a backup server and today was a wake up call.
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:04

Could you explain a bit what you're seeing when you start the GUI installation of fedora? Because i'm a bit confused .. i thought you couldn't get a GUI installation running ..
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:06

I have graphics during all the installation, when the system is reboot for the first time it's when the GUI dissapear
I made all the installations in the same way
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:10

disappear like: You reboot the server after the installation, and when it's done rebooting you have a login prompt in console?

if so:
have you tried to start x manually?
run: /etc/init.d/startx

(don't know the script name for fedora)
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_NL View Post
(don't know the script name for fedora)
me neither

I wasn't trying to hard since my primary server was working fine, but this one was stressing, I was without Server for about 10 hours, the boss was at the edge of a heart attack

I will look into that script and see what happen
Old 3rd July 2009, 12:16

edit:

it's:
/etc/init.d/gdm
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_NL For This Useful Post:
azteca2137 (3rd July 2009)