Old 1st October 2009, 04:41

Default Postfix: No Banner

Hi All,

First off, thanks to all for this great project. Installation was a breeze and everything is pretty self explanatory. I did run into a couple of confusing areas:

o) One of the customized libs breaks default yum update. Run with `yum update --skip-broken` to workaround;
o) The default firewall registered in chkconfig on my system from The Planet was iptables. After checking that the ISPConfig firewall was configured correctly I removed iptables from chkconfig and added bastile-firewall and all was happy.

The last thing I'm having trouble with is SMTP. Postfix doesn't seem to be giving an SMTP banner:

Quote:
[root@lnx101 ~]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
Which hangs there forever. Googling around turned up a reference to the smtpd_recipient_restrictions configuration in Postfix's main.cf. Mine looks like this:

Quote:
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, check_recipient_access mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_recipient.cf, reject_unauth_destination
Checking /etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_recipient.cf gives us:

Quote:
user = ispconfig
password = 228b57f7faddd02bff40a72ad5a89fe0
dbname = dbispconfig
table = mail_access
select_field = access
where_field = source
additional_conditions = and type = 'recipient' and active = 'y' and server_id = 1
hosts = 127.0.0.1
I'm guessing this is the tie in to ISPConfig. However, checking the database turns up an empty table:

Quote:
mysql> use dbispconfig;
Reading table information for completion of table and column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
mysql> select * from mail_access;
Empty set (0.00 sec)
Is there supposed to be something in this table telling Postfix to give me a banner? I have no idea, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

-- Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd October 2009, 04:45

Well, it looks like a couple of things happened. For whatever reason when I installed originally (around April 2009) the postfix version just didn't want to let me into port 25. Then when I updated the system with yum it overwrote the postfix version altogether with something that didn't support MySQL configurations. So I rebuilt the latest version of postfix according to the current CentOS 5.3 install guide, did an update to the latest version of ISPConfig 3 and everything seems to be happy now. In fact, now I'm thinking about doing a yum remove on everything and try updating all the ISPConfig 3 packages just for kicks

Cheers,

-- Tim