Old 30th April 2006, 19:40

Default email scanning

Quote:
MailScan
Activate this field if you want your emails to be scanned for viruses or javascript code (in HTML emails) on the server. You can find further information about this feature in our FAQ.

Antivirus:
Activate this field if you want your emails to be checked for viruses on the server. If a virus is found the affected email is deleted, and a notification is sent to the "Antivirus-Admin" (see chapter I-2.1). The antivirus software used here is ClamAV (http://clamav.elektrapro.com/); the virus signature database is updated automatically.
Sorry I'm just a bit confused as to whether or not I should check both or just one box?

What's the difference between Mail Scan and Antivirus check box? Both of them seem to be checking for virus using clamav. Does that mean that if I check "Mailscan" then "antivirus" will be automatically selected too?

Also what's the performance impact on the server if I check both boxes with anti spam selected too? Will this be an over kill? (I've got abt 35 mailbox setup by ispconfig on this machine)
Sponsored Links
Old 1st May 2006, 16:50
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno
What's the difference between Mail Scan and Antivirus check box? Both of them seem to be checking for virus using clamav. Does that mean that if I check "Mailscan" then "antivirus" will be automatically selected too?
Mailscan scans emails for malicious javascript, images, etc. and renames potentially dangerous attachment extensions like .doc, .exe so that they cannot be pened by a single click. It has nothing to do with ClamAV.
Antivirus enables CLamAV which scans emails for viruses, trojans, etc.
So Mailscan and antivirus do different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno
Also what's the performance impact on the server if I check both boxes with anti spam selected too? Will this be an over kill? (I've got abt 35 mailbox setup by ispconfig on this machine)
I don't see any problems with only 35 mailboxes. If you have more mailboxes (a few hundred or so), you might have to monitor the impact on the server's load.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: