Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 3rd December 2010, 11:13

Default Mtu

what an havoc MTU settings can cause!for almost two months,access to some sites has been hell.now reducing the MTU setting on my router and every system on my network did the magic.thanks to HOWTOFORGE
Sponsored Links
Old 5th April 2013, 00:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman View Post
Had to set the MTU on the network card to match the MTU on the modem/router. Max MTU on modem was lower then network card, after setting network card MTU to match or lower everything started to come through.
I've been looking for some time on this subject, this is the first post where I addressed, I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem, although it is a pretty old post, I would appreciate if someone can answer. My router has an MTU of 9164, is connected directly to a PC with Windows Server 2003 and MDaemon 9.6. I set the MTU in 1500 that as I have read is the default for ethernet in windows, but I'm still with the same problem: some transactions exhaust their timeout after DATA command, for example, occurs fairly with hotmail. Any help would be welcome
Old 6th September 2013, 17:14

As well had to register to say thank you!
In my case I found the issue was foreign MTA used a slightly lower MTU, which caused a "timeout after DATA" or "timeout after STARTLS" from my MTA (Postfix as well).

I was not able to receive mails from google and some other servers.
I had to decrease my MTU from 1500 to 1472 or less in my case, I found this using "ping"...

I synchronized the MTU (~1400) of my server and its first gateway only (I have some other router layers but with MTU 1500), but don't know if it's really necessary. I'll do some test later...
It works well with this configuration.

Your posts saved a lot of time!

Last edited by breefsd; 6th September 2013 at 17:22.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:51

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeman View Post
Finally figured it out, for anybody in a similar situation hope I can save you alot of time;

Had to set the MTU on the network card to match the MTU on the modem/router. Max MTU on modem was lower then network card, after setting network card MTU to match or lower everything started to come through.
Registered too to give my a lot of respect.
MTU was last to think of here..
In my case, it appears in Postfix on FreeBSD in our office, and with Outlook 2003 on MS Terminal server 2008 R2 placed at a datacenter. Some messages (especially with relatively large attachments), just remained in "Outbox". MTU 1444 solved the problem.
Please tell us, where to send donations?

PS Sorry for my English

Last edited by sa99; 25th September 2013 at 12:55.