Old 24th September 2009, 23:44

Default PureFTPd / MySQL / CentOS 5.3

Hey all, back again!

This time, I've followed this how-to (yes, I know it's for centos 5.0 and I'm running 5.3):

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_ho...ysql_centos5.0

The package installed OK and I was able to add the user & db no problem - edited the pure-ftpd.conf file without issue and edited the pureftpd-mysql.conf file without issue. Passwords match, I can log into the ftpd db without issue with the user that I created.

The problem is that when I connect to the FTP server it immediately disconnects after the user enters a password:

1. Connect to ftp via ftp client
2. Prompted for username - entered
3. Prompted for password - entered
4. Disconnected with the following messages:

Code:
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: No such file or directory
This was rcv'd by just using ftp localhost at console (locally, obviously).. from remote, you see this:

Code:
331 User sean OK. Password required
Password:
Connection closed by remote host.
In /var/log/messages (pureftpd.log is completely empty, which doesn't help):

Code:
Sep 24 14:40:47 host pure-ftpd: (?@127.0.0.1) [INFO] New connection from 127.0.0.1
Sep 24 14:41:53 host pure-ftpd: (?@xx.xxx.xxx.xxx) [INFO] New connection from xx.xxx.xxx.xxx
There are no errors saying mysql couldn't authenticate or if there was a problem creating the folder or not.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I may have missed?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 25th September 2009, 05:51

Solved.

I had set my home directory in the ftpuser table to be /home/sean, when that folder was my system user folder. Apparently there was a permissions problem (although that was not in the logs at all) and immediately killed the connection.