Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 6th October 2009, 20:11

Default Setting up DNS (FROM BEGINNING TO END)

I've seen it posted in small chunks and with bad explanations over and over again. This thread should be the end all to DNS hosting questions.

It seems to be a popular topic. How in the hell do get my example.com host name onto the internet so that people can type it and say, "Hey! Check out that guys totally sweet website!"

In most cases, people are just like me and have ran through the ISPConfig 3 Perfect Server setup about 250 times and can type in the IP address from outside of the network and say, "Hey! My website is so totally sweet and gnarly awesome."

But we're scratching our heads thinking, but... I want to use a name... not a number.

This is where all you totally rad gnarly internet dudes explain! Let's kick the door down and get our host names on the magical world of the interwebs!!!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand go!
Sponsored Links
Old 7th October 2009, 13:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

These guides should give you the idea:
http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto
http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy
http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_...domain_schlund

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 10th December 2009, 03:00

Thank you for the links, I use godaddy.

Old 28th December 2009, 21:24

Send a message via MSN to oilyflutesalad

Seeing as I don't have two external IP addresses (I guess it would require another phone line AND another Internet connection - something I can't afford) are there any websites that offer a service similar to that of freeDNS?

That is, I've been using freeDNS for some time to forward a domain to my IP. Is there something that lets you forward a different IP to your real IP? Perhaps a better way to put it would be to create an alias of your external IP address...

More to the point, even if a service like that DID exist, would it even work for nameservers? I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to create two nameservers on the same local network, but I can dream at least...

EDIT:
I just thought that it might be easier to simply create a "virtual" network interface on the server, so instead of having two external IPs I would have two local IPs on my server (eg 192.168.1.222 and 192.168.1.223). I'm sure this would enable me to create two nameservers on one physical server. Can someone confirm if it's likely to work, and what problems (if any) may occur if I was to use such a method? Thanks

Last edited by oilyflutesalad; 28th December 2009 at 21:32.
Old 29th December 2009, 13:06
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyflutesalad View Post
EDIT:
I just thought that it might be easier to simply create a "virtual" network interface on the server, so instead of having two external IPs I would have two local IPs on my server (eg 192.168.1.222 and 192.168.1.223). I'm sure this would enable me to create two nameservers on one physical server. Can someone confirm if it's likely to work, and what problems (if any) may occur if I was to use such a method? Thanks
That makes no sense as you still have only one public IP (and that's the IP that the clients use to connect), and your router can forward port 53 to just one local IP.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 29th December 2009, 19:49

Send a message via MSN to oilyflutesalad

Yeah I thought about that later lol, bit of a blonde moment :P

In the end I just set up my domain with the freeDNS nameservers and use that service instead.

Unofficial ISPConfig IRC: #ISPConfig on irc.quakenet.org
Old 29th December 2009, 20:02
Local Meanie

On two small business servers (both not need-to-be-up pages) but mainly general file and email server I use http://www.everydns.net to provide domain.com-to-dynamicIP mapping. haven't had issues this far with that. You might want to have a look at that.

They provide a script that I run through cron every 30 minutes. As the DSL internet connections only reset once a day you don't really notice anything.

Auto-Install Script for ISPConfig and Horde on a Vanilla Debian Stable

Need more Repos for Ubuntu? Repository Generator
Need more Repos for Debian? Debian Repository Generator
Old 12th April 2010, 21:28

Default Xname.Org - I use them with great success ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyflutesalad View Post
Seeing as I don't have two external IP addresses (I guess it would require another phone line AND another Internet connection - something I can't afford) are there any websites that offer a service similar to that of freeDNS?
Xname.org - Name servers reliable and free unless you really like them - then they ask for a donation. I use them ...