Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 27th August 2009, 14:02
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

This article might help as well: http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Sponsored Links
Old 28th August 2009, 12:48

Thanks for the post, the guide is really good and the easiest to understand from what I have found so far. Really good on the details, so after reading it a few times I was so confident ill get it going I started from scratch and now I am stuck in the same place

I must be missing something that I failed to see, this is what I have done from the very beginning:

1. Registered a domain at dynadot.com
2. Set the name servers linked to my domain as:
ns1.domain.com -> wan ip
ns2.domain.com -> wan ip
domain.com -> wan ip
just for the sake of it i put in domain.com wont hurt right?

3. After doing this and waiting for the records to update when i type in host domain.com or ns1.domain.com I get my wan ip back, this is good I presume now the domain knows where to look for the dns server.

4. Install bind use system-config-bind to get all my config files in right places.
5. Start bind to make sure its running - OK
6.. Edit localdomain.zone and localhost.zone, didn't edit nothing in named.conf or change zone file names, I hope this is ok just for testing
7. Make sure my wan ip port 53 is nat to internal dns server port 53, this looks to be working ad online tools tell me port 53 is open.
8. So now in my mind this is the picture I have when a query is made to my domain
user contacts domain, domain says this is the dns server and gives user ns1.domain.com or domain.com since I put them all in step 2. User is redirected to those addresses which both resolve to my wan ip. User queries my wanip on port 53 and talks to bind. So bind should now read out my zone files and translate what is set in them to the user?
But when i type in www.domain.com it does not work, when i try host domain.com I get either
Host domain.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)
or
connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Im lost, I must of missed something in my setup, I know you mentioned glue records but I want to keep it as simple as possible, I tried a few different possiblities for ns but nothing. sorry to be annoying
Old 29th August 2009, 09:15

Im such a jackass lol

As simple as it was the problem was my external zone in named.conf was not the same as my nameserver at my domain so naturally no nameserver could be contacted and soa record retreived. Right now I am getting a almost perfect report from http://www.intodns.com just a few minor thing associated with using single ip etc.

Well i guess it was that plain that nobody mentioned it in any guide and I simply missed it, hope this can save somebody alot of pain and long nights, thanx Falco for giving me support

Last edited by treeman; 29th August 2009 at 09:28.