Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 12th August 2009, 16:35

Default Transport Based on Domain

I'm running ISPConfig 3 with Postfix and love it.

I've been asked to create a domain that people can log into from a remote location, but only send and receive email to that domain. Only this domain should be affected (external email to this domain should bounce and also external smtp from this domain to another domain should be prohibited). Yeah - it's stupid - but so is the management that came up with this scheme (I fought them on this for hours)!

I saw a "mail_transport" table, but didn't see any reference to that in the docs. Can a guru help me out with some suggestions to handle this?

Zack
Sponsored Links
Old 12th August 2009, 16:37

Default Oh and something else

What if I have a list of trusted domains that I would like to allow to email any or all users of this "restricted" domain. Could that be possible.

Any everything is running on this one server - so I can't make any general postfix setting that affect our working domains.

Zack
Old 13th August 2009, 08:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zburns View Post
I'm running ISPConfig 3 with Postfix and love it.

I've been asked to create a domain that people can log into from a remote location, but only send and receive email to that domain. Only this domain should be affected (external email to this domain should bounce and also external smtp from this domain to another domain should be prohibited). Yeah - it's stupid - but so is the management that came up with this scheme (I fought them on this for hours)!

I saw a "mail_transport" table, but didn't see any reference to that in the docs. Can a guru help me out with some suggestions to handle this?

Zack
Just click on Email routing > add transport in the ISPConfig mail module to add a new transport.
Old 13th August 2009, 08:56
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,240 Times in 4,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zburns View Post
What if I have a list of trusted domains that I would like to allow to email any or all users of this "restricted" domain. Could that be possible.

Any everything is running on this one server - so I can't make any general postfix setting that affect our working domains.

Zack
Never allow mail sending based on domians, this will open up your server for spammers as sender domains can be easily forged. Use smtp-auth instead.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:16

Till,

Thanks.

> Just click on Email routing > add transport in the ISPConfig mail module to add a new transport.

Is there information on what this is really doing - ie. how does it work? I'm not entirely sure what the result of this action will be.

Zack
Old 15th September 2009, 15:14

Question I think I'm missing something

Really what I want is:

If you are domain xxx and attempting to send outbound, then deny, or try to deliver locally, if failure send back a message stating why.

If you are an outside domain attempting to send to domain xxx, then deny regardless.

Is this what transport tables will do for me?

Zack