Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > HOWTO-Related Questions

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 21st July 2009, 19:05

Default Merging non-adjacent partitions

I have cloned a small HDD to a much larger one. The partitions are all over the place and I am wondering is it possible to merge non-adjacent partitions?? Currently (in order) the partitions are:

dev/sda1 windows NTFS partition
dev/sda6 linux swap
dev/sda7 ext3 mounted as /home
dev/sda5 ext3 mounted as /

Then at the end is 200Gb approx of free space on the new HDD. What I want to do is expand sda7 (/home) to utilize all this new extra space.

I have gathered so far that sda7 is going to need to be converted to ext 2 for sure, but is it then possible to move it or somehow merge it with the free space when sda5 is in between??

Any tips or places to look for info would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to oziemike For This Useful Post:
Smalfish (18th October 2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd July 2009, 16:29
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,545 Posts

I don't think this is possible. I suggest you use LVM the next time as this allows you to resize partitions.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 18th October 2010, 04:52

Smile merge partition

you want merge two non-adjacent partitions, first you need to convert the file style the same, because there is no software can convert the non-adjacent partitions directory, so when you make the file format the same then you can merge it easy, sure each as you do the file format convert you need use one software to do it which is named MiniTool Partition Wizard 5.2, after download it and install it, the next you can use it to convert the file system and merge it. MiniTool Partition Wizard can do convert file system and merge, resize,creat partitions and so on, so you can have a try.