Old 26th August 2005, 05:14

Default DNS Borked?

I installed ISPConfig today on my debian server and after the installation, I could no longer access my site via "www.xaix.com". For some reason the CNAME isn't working? I can access the same site if I type "ns.xaix.com". I was working fine but something has changed and I can't find where the change is. Im running debian sarge 3.1 and bind9. I've looked in the /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/ directory and in the files here and can't find what is missing or changed? Could use a little help on this one. Thanks in advance.

Ringo
Sponsored Links
Old 26th August 2005, 08:57
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,723 Times in 2,563 Posts

Quote:
I could no longer access my site via "www.xaix.com". For some reason the CNAME isn't working? I can access the same site if I type "ns.xaix.com".
What do you mean with that? Is www.xaix.com working, but you see the same page as when you type in ns.xaix.com in your browser?
Or can't you connect at all with www.xaix.com?
Which server is the DNS server for xaix.com? The machine where you installed ISPConfig?

Quote:
I've looked in the /root/ispconfig/isp/conf/ directory and in the files here and can't find what is missing or changed? Could use a little help on this one.
You could have a look at
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf,
/etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf and the files in /etc/bind.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 26th August 2005, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
What do you mean with that? Is www.xaix.com working, but you see the same page as when you type in ns.xaix.com in your browser?
Or can't you connect at all with www.xaix.com?
Which server is the DNS server for xaix.com? The machine where you installed ISPConfig?

You could have a look at
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf,
/etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf and the files in /etc/bind.
What I mean is if you type in www.xaix.com .. it can't be found anymore, however if you type in ns.xaix.com - my temp page will show. Meaning a possible change in DNS because www.xaix.com was being resolved befor the installation. So Im assuming that something has changed but Im not sure what. Yes this server is also running DNS/apache/ipconfig.
I don't know if this might help or not but for some reason it didn't pick up my phpmyadmin or i should say it wont allow me to access it - however once again if I type in http://ns.xaix.com/phpmyadmin/ .. it shows. Most likely unrelated but ...
I'll take a look at apache conf and see whats up. It's a new server Im just now setting up, but I desided to use apache 1.3.3. Don't have any vhosts on the system YET >......
I've looked at etc/bind -- I made backups of all the files in that dir but theres no difference.
There seems to be a file missing from /root/ispconfig/<something>/ bind stuff ... I dunno....
Anyway thanks for a place to start looking
Old 26th August 2005, 11:48
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,230 Times in 4,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
What I mean is if you type in www.xaix.com .. it can't be found anymore, however if you type in ns.xaix.com - my temp page will show. Meaning a possible change in DNS because www.xaix.com was being resolved befor the installation. So Im assuming that something has changed but Im not sure what. Yes this server is also running DNS/apache/ipconfig.
I don't know if this might help or not but for some reason it didn't pick up my phpmyadmin or i should say it wont allow me to access it - however once again if I type in http://ns.xaix.com/phpmyadmin/ .. it shows. Most likely unrelated but ...
I'll take a look at apache conf and see whats up. It's a new server Im just now setting up, but I desided to use apache 1.3.3. Don't have any vhosts on the system YET >......
I've looked at etc/bind -- I made backups of all the files in that dir but theres no difference.
There seems to be a file missing from /root/ispconfig/<something>/ bind stuff ... I dunno....
Anyway thanks for a place to start looking
There are no config files for your daemons under the /root/ispconfig/ tree. All the config files are in /etc/.

Is your server authorative for your domains? Have you configured the primary records for your domains in ISPConfig DNS-Manager after you have installed ispconfig? ISPConfig deletes all existing BIND configuration on your server during install and you have to setup your DNS-Records in DNS-Manager again.
Old 26th August 2005, 12:09

Default Man ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by till
There are no config files for your daemons under the /root/ispconfig/ tree. All the config files are in /etc/.

Is your server authorative for your domains? Have you configured the primary records for your domains in ISPConfig DNS-Manager after you have installed ispconfig? ISPConfig deletes all existing BIND configuration on your server during install and you have to setup your DNS-Records in DNS-Manager again.
Wow you guys are the best - thanks for the quick replys.

Yes my server is Authorative for all my domains. However I only have ONE domain atm - just my root domain which is xaix.com. I'd like to get this working correctly (or learn ispconfig better) before I actually transfer 100+ domains over hehe. Interesting comment about ISPConfig deleting my existing BIND config - are you saying it actually deletes all my /etc/bind/ * files?
If thats what is suppose to happen .. it has not done so. I was reading that the Primary DNS entry is set to "default" but I have changed those to IP addys and removed the Default FQDN that was there. Am I misunderstanding the docs?

Thanks

P.S.
It's really a very good app ... thanks for all the hard work...
Old 26th August 2005, 12:17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow you guys are the best - thanks for the quick replys.

Yes my server is Authorative for all my domains. However I only have ONE domain atm - just my root domain which is xaix.com. I'd like to get this working correctly (or learn ispconfig better) before I actually transfer 100+ domains over hehe. Interesting comment about ISPConfig deleting my existing BIND config - are you saying it actually deletes all my /etc/bind/ * files?
If thats what is suppose to happen .. it has not done so. I was reading that the Primary DNS entry is set to "default" but I have changed those to IP addys and removed the Default FQDN that was there. Am I misunderstanding the docs?
No, it dont delete the /etc/bind/ * files, but it replaces your named.conf and your files in /etc/bind/ * are not included anymore.

Quote:
I was reading that the Primary DNS entry is set to "default" but I have changed those to IP addys and removed the Default FQDN that was there. Am I misunderstanding the docs?
What do you mean with that? After you installed ISPConfig, the BIND Configuration is empty, there are no zones at all as default. Dont change any config files manually, use the web inteface or your changes will get lost!
Old 26th August 2005, 14:35

Quote:
No, it dont delete the /etc/bind/ * files, but it replaces your named.conf and your files in /etc/bind/ * are not included anymore.

What do you mean with that? After you installed ISPConfig, the BIND Configuration is empty, there are no zones at all as default. Dont change any config files manually, use the web inteface or your changes will get lost!
No no my bind config is as it was -- the problem is I can't find where ISPConfig changed my CNAME from www to ns ? right now you can access my site by ns.xaix.com but NOT www.xaix.com. it wasn't like that before so something has changed but I can't find where -- I've looked at the ispconfig files under root -- but don't really know what file it's in or what i should change .. Im not very up on php coding. In the ISPConfig console the do I need to build that first DNS record? Do I need to build xaix.com even though it was built in bind before the installation?

Thanks
Old 26th August 2005, 14:44
Super Moderator

Quote:
No no my bind config is as it was -- the problem is I can't find where ISPConfig changed my CNAME from www to ns ? right now you can access my site by ns.xaix.com but NOT www.xaix.com. it wasn't like that before so something has changed but I can't find where -- I've looked at the ispconfig files under root
There are NO config files under /root/ispconfig for the daemons like bind, postfix and the main apache (See my post above).

Quote:
but don't really know what file it's in or what i should change .. Im not very up on php coding. In the ISPConfig console the do I need to build that first DNS record? Do I need to build xaix.com even though it was built in bind before the installation?
What result did you get when you run.

Code:
dig @localhost xaix.com
If the server is not authoritive for that domain, you have to add the domain in ISPConfig.
Old 27th August 2005, 05:34

Default info for dns

Quote:
There are NO config files under /root/ispconfig for the daemons like bind, postfix and the main apache (See my post above).

Yes, I see that now - it replaces files in /etc/bind. Heres the problem I "think" Here is my orginial named.conf:
// prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";
=========================== this is actually in my options file which is included nc
options {
directory "/var/cache/bind";
version "[secured]";
allow-transfer { 216.240.130.2; };
statistics-file "/var/lib/named/named.stats";
dump-file "/var/lib/named/named.db";

//forwarders {
// 216.240.152.4;
// 216.240.130.2;
// };

//auth-nxdomain no; # conform to RFC1035

};

zone "." {
type hint;
file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

// be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and for
// broadcast zones as per RFC 1912

zone "localhost" {
type master;
file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "/etc/bind/db.0";
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "/etc/bind/db.255";
};

// zone "com" { type delegation-only; };
// zone "net" { type delegation-only; };
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW named.conf:

options {
pid-file "/var/run/bind/run/named.pid";
directory "/etc/bind";
auth-nxdomain no;

zone "." {
type hint;
file "db.root";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "db.local";
};

zone "33.69.64.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "pri.33.69.64.in-addr.arpa";
};

zone "ns.xaix.com" {
type master;
file "pri.ns.xaix.com";
};

//// MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ////

The items in RED are not what I would call "normal" DNS entries for SOA. Let me rephrase this. In the orginial "auth-nxdomain no;" is commented out. In ISPConfigs replacement it is "uncommented" My current understanding of this is: the AA bit is always set on NXDOMAIN responses, even if the server is not actually authoritative. The default is yes. This server is indeed a SOA (or was till the installation of ISPConfig). So I'm taking this to mean that there is a possible change (obviously) in configs in bind that have changed my setup FROM SOA to a NON SOA server. The problem I'm having is obviously fixing this. My real question is should I or can I change this in the files themselves even though there is a comment that says ///// make manual entries below this line! ////? If not where can I set it to be SOA again. Secondly the last item in RED states that ns.xaix.com as a zone is actually "xaix.com" and ns.xaix.com is the SOA as pointed out in the zone file itself. So this does not seem correct to me as far as how ISPConfig as reasoned my DNS server to be. How can I correct these issues?

What result did you get when you run.

Code:
dig @localhost xaix.com
I cannot use that to get an answer because BIND is NOW misconfigured and this as written above will in fact time out. However dig @localhost NOW shows:
; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @localhost
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 54589
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 13, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
. 518400 IN NS J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
. 518400 IN NS I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. 84178 IN A 192.58.128.30

;; Query time: 69 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(localhost)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 26 20:29:32 2005
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 244

If the server is not authoritive for that domain, you have to add the domain in ISPConfig.
Again what I'm trying to say is -- THIS SERVER WAS SOA before the installation process -- so .. If I have missed something in the admin docs please point me to it. If not how can I set my server back to SOA through the ISPConfig panel.

Thanks
Ringo
Old 27th August 2005, 09:12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Again what I'm trying to say is -- THIS SERVER WAS SOA before the installation process -- so .
Yes, I have understand that and thats why i told you to setup the namserver settings again in the ISPConfig controlpanel.

Quote:
If I have missed something in the admin docs please point me to it.
Mybe you've missed the part where the install documentation and the installer told you that some of your current installation will be overwritten and thats why you have to enter them again in the controlpanel.

Quote:
If not how can I set my server back to SOA through the ISPConfig panel.
1) You entered ns.xaix.com in the field "Domain (SOA):" of your primary DNS record in the DNS manager, it must be "xaix.com" because the autority starts at xaix.com (SOA maens Start Of Autority).
2) Go to the "records" tab of the xaix.com DNS records and add a new A-Record with the field Hostname set to "ns" and the IP address pointing to your server.

IT is still SOA, but not