Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 4th July 2009, 18:43

Default Upload via FTP Access Denied but not SFTP ...

I followed the directions in the "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 9.04 [ISPConfig 3]" to the letter.

Everything is working fine, except for my uploading problem.

I created an account in ISPConfig 3, then a Site and an FTP Account for the site/user.

I then connect to the FTP and I try to upload/edit/delete something and I get "Access Denied".

While I am still logged into the FTP, I take a quick look at the "Owner" of the files/folders. It shows a Number "5003" and not the users ID "web2".

I then log into SSH with the root account and check the permissions of the users folder located in: "/var/www/clients/client2/web2" and it shows web2 as the owner and client2 as the group so that looks fine.

I then create an SSH account inside ISPConfig3 for the user. I then connect to with SFTP (Not FTP) with the new SSH account. I can now upload/edit/delete files in the users directory and the "Owner" now reads "web2".

I do not want users to have an SSH account and only have an FTP account for uploading. Any idea why the FTP account shows a number "5003" and not the "web2" as the Owner.

Thanks

Last edited by OmegaQuest; 4th July 2009 at 21:25.
Sponsored Links
Old 5th July 2009, 11:52
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,741 Times in 2,575 Posts

Any errors in your logs when you use FTP?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: