Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 13th June 2009, 10:16

Question Groupware Recommendation?

Can someone recommend a (free) groupware for use on a server with ISPConfig 3 setup?

Is there anything special to consider, when choosing a groupware solution for a server with ISPConfig 3?

At first I was only looking for a webmail app, but then I thought why not have something more advanced with privat/global contacts & calendar. I just took a look, but there are countless more or less active groupware projects out there, making it very hard to choose.
Sponsored Links
Old 13th June 2009, 10:54
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,204 Times in 4,080 Posts

Any groupware appliaction will work that supports pop3 or imap connections like sugarcrm or egroupware. You can not use things like openexchange or similar applications which are configuring postfix as they will conflict with ispconfix.
Old 13th June 2009, 22:12

This is tougher than I thought. I spend half day searching, reading, playing with demos, and it's definitely not getting easier. So I have to find out, which of the groupware apps is not changing the config of any of the core services, like postfix and courier, which is not going to be easy without fully digging in. The following suits caught my eye today:
Not so sure, if these would be suitable as well:
The main focus is on the webmail client, which should be quite advanced, being able to replace a standalone app like Evolution (the standard email client on Ubuntu), then the privat/global adressbook and calendar, a integrated bookmark feature would be nice as well. Except the bookmark management that's more or less standard for a groupware, but the quality of the webmail clients differs a lot, especially when it comes down to details like multiple personalities.

Simple Groupware and Horde offer a lot, and both are quite appealing, take that really nice view of the portal in Horde Groupware Webmail Edition for example.

Looks like Simple Groupware and Horde Groupware Webmail Edition are on my shortlist, if they are compatible with the ISPConfig 3 setup.

Any additional comments are highly appreciated.
Old 15th June 2009, 10:10

Default Horde Groupware Webmail Edition

I have installed the Horde Groupware Webmail Edition. I have created a subdomain for it. I am running it on my ISPC3 server. It is dedicated for my own domain. It seems working fine for me. I have not tried it while setting up for other domain. You might try it yourself.

I have posted a reply about this here. I used a how-to I found. It helped me to install it in an easy way.

Richard
RdV25772
Old 15th June 2009, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master One View Post
This is tougher than I thought. I spend half day searching, reading, playing with demos, and it's definitely not getting easier. So I have to find out, which of the groupware apps is not changing the config of any of the core services, like postfix and courier, which is not going to be easy without fully digging in. The following suits caught my eye today:
I really like the look of eGroupware...

Would love to know if it would cause issues with ISPc3...?

Slowhand
Old 16th June 2009, 14:38
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,204 Times in 4,080 Posts

egroupware should work with ispconfig.
Old 16th June 2009, 15:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
egroupware should work with ispconfig.
Till,

Good to know as it looks cool and is in the Ubuntu repos apparently.

Slowhand