Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Developers' Forum

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st June 2009, 13:01
ISPConfig Developer

Default Multiserver setup with mysql-only server

I just tried out a multiserver setup where the main host serves all the available things and a second host that is client database-only.
With this setup I recognized a problem.

If you set up a database on a database-only server you always have to enable remote access for the database as you would not be able to use it otherwise.
And as the database is not linked to a website (like it was in ispc2) you cannot automatically determine the "local" ip that is probably used to access the database.

Do you see any possibility to automatically allow access of needed ips to the database without having the client to enable remot access?

The only solution I see is to get all the ip addresses of all website-servers the client has in use and to grant access to those ips even on disabled remote access.
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:51
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,492 Times in 4,323 Posts

Quote:
The only solution I see is to get all the ip addresses of all website-servers the client has in use and to grant access to those ips even on disabled remote access.
Yes, either that or add a website select field in the database form that makes it possible to assign a database to a specific site. Then we will have to rewrite the grant mechanism a bit as it will be better to have a (hidden) field in the database table which lists all granted IP's for each DB record as comma separated value because the database server is not able to determine the IP of a website as the website records do not get replicated to him.
Old 3rd June 2009, 08:28
ISPConfig Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Yes, either that or add a website select field in the database form that makes it possible to assign a database to a specific site. Then we will have to rewrite the grant mechanism a bit as it will be better to have a (hidden) field in the database table which lists all granted IP's for each DB record as comma separated value because the database server is not able to determine the IP of a website as the website records do not get replicated to him.
Well yes, but there is one issue I see with this:
multiserver-setup, 1 mainserver, 1 webserver, 1 db server

If a client has 2 websites on 2 different servers (mainserver and db server) and just wants to use one database (on db server) it would be a problem assigning the database to only one website.
And it would be somehow complicated for the client to determine the ip addresses to enter into the remote access field (remote access limitation patch).
Old 3rd June 2009, 09:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,492 Times in 4,323 Posts

Not sure if we should make it that complicated. If he wants to access the database from more then one server he can still enable external access.
Old 21st February 2011, 22:04

I hope it's not in bad form to revive a old thread but, it's exactly the issue myself and others are grappling with this week. http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51518

Would a dedicated MySQL server have access to a clients default_webserver as defined in the clients limits page? I noticed the default grants were all to localhost and looping through the remote IPs in:
/usr/local/ispconfig/server/plugins-available/mysql_clientdb_plugin.inc.php

In the above file on my dedicated database server I duplicated the localhost inserts, updates, etc. and added my webserver hostname. So, every time localhost gets a grant, update, delete, etc. so does the webserver. Seems to work fine in my one web server, one database server environment.

Anyway to determine the client's default_webserver and give it the grant automatically?