Old 20th May 2009, 11:59

Default mail migration

Hi there,

i installed recently ISPconfig3 on ubuntu server. It's supposed to be a mail server. I need to migrate mail account information: logins (usernames), passwords, geckos, homedirs, mailboxes form old server to ISPconfig3. The old server is debian with user logins stored in /etc/passwd and passwords in /etc/shadow. Their mail is stored in mailbox format in /var/mail/<user>, so needs to be converted to maildir also. Some of users use opnewebmail as webmail and moved some emails to folders created by openwebmail software.

I need to move all user emails to thier ispconfig Maildir's.
Is there a way to create mailboxes in ISP config using a script or in any automated way?

Maybe someone have a clue if this is possible at all or maybe some stuff can be migrated

--
regards
Bartek
Sponsored Links
Old 20th May 2009, 21:43
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,268 Times in 4,130 Posts

Quote:
Is there a way to create mailboxes in ISP config using a script or in any automated way?
No, not yet. The remoting framework is still under development.

Migrating your setup will not be easy as ispconfig uses the email address as username for smtp/pop3/imap and not a username. The passwords should not be that problem as ispconfig uses also crypt passwords. To convert mbox format to maildir, take a look at the script mb2md which is available for most linux distributions as pacakge or google for it to get the sources.
Old 25th May 2009, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
No, not yet. The remoting framework is still under development.

Migrating your setup will not be easy as ispconfig uses the email address as username for smtp/pop3/imap and not a username. The passwords should not be that problem as ispconfig uses also crypt passwords. To convert mbox format to maildir, take a look at the script mb2md which is available for most linux distributions as pacakge or google for it to get the sources.
i tried mb2md earlier, but now tested it and results are nice
i'm lucky because both /etc/shadow and 'mail_user' table password are MD5 hashed and can be migrated
The problem with usernames/mailboxes remains. Looks like i must add users manually. That's a bit trouble with 600 accounts
Migrating folders from openwebmail will be even worse

thanks anyway
Old 18th June 2010, 23:13
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Migrating your setup will not be easy as ispconfig uses the email address as username for smtp/pop3/imap and not a username. The passwords should not be that problem as ispconfig uses also crypt passwords.
Would you please explain howto do it Till?
I have manually setup all sites, email and clients as in ISPC2 so all is installed new in ISPC3 now I only want to copy the passwords of the mail accounts if possible.

TIA