Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 1st April 2006, 02:17

Unhappy More virtual hosting goodness for you

Hi All,

Without trying to come across as a complete newb I've read through hundreds of forum responses here and I still seem to be missing something. I have been trying to set up virtual hosting using ISPConfig. So far I've have managed to set up my server with FC4 following the instructions on HowtoForge and everything seems to be running fine, I have FTP access and can also get the "Shared IP" page when typing my IP address into a browser.

I currently have two sites set up in ISPConfig and am looking to share them both over my current IP address. While I'm certain I'm close to having this set up there seems to be something I'm missing and after 3 hours of fiddling I'm close to giving up. I have changed my domain name provider (123-reg.co.uk)'s DNS record to point to my external IP address while leaving web forwarding off as I read here, and both sites are set up in the ISP Manager section of ISP Config as stated below:

Hostname: www
Domain: xdomain.co.uk
IP address: 192.168.x.x

I have left Create DNS and DNS-MX unchecked as I read a post on another site that said to do so, next up are my DNS Manager entries, they look like like this:

(Domain)
Domain (SOA): xdomain.co.uk
IP Address: 82.71.x.x

(Options)
Nameserver 1: ns.123-reg.co.uk
Nameserver 2: ns2.123-reg.co.uk

The records tab has no data at present, am I supposed to put something in here?

I've left my box in the DMZ on my router at the moment to see if that helped at all but it makes no difference. Upon either of the registered domains all I'm currently treated to is a holding page.

Sorry about the long post guys but I'm just about to lose all my hair here so I thought I'd be specific. Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 1st April 2006, 11:29
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,256 Times in 4,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchamoneh
The records tab has no data at present, am I supposed to put something in here?
Yes. If you want to reach www.xdomain.co.uk you will have to add an A-Record with:

Host: www
IP Address: 82.71.x.x

If you want to get emails too on this server for xdomain.co.uk, add an MX-Record:

Host: (let the field blank)
Mailserver: xdomain.co.uk