Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 21st March 2009, 17:46

Default Webalizer and Apache mod_security

I have an Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server that was configured using the HowTo on this site. I also setup and configured Apache mod_security to further protect the webserver.

As part of the HowTo, I installed Webalizer for site statistics. Furthermore, I use basic authentication on the webalizer stats directory.

When users browse to the webalizer domain (http://stats.example.com), they are prompted with the authentication dialog box. The credentials appear to be accepted, but then a 404 error is returned.

So it would appear that DNS is working correctly, the Apache virtual host is working correctly, and the htaccess file is working correctly.

I checked the error logs and saw that mod_security is blocking access and generating the 404 error. The message from mod_security in the log is "Statistics Information Leakage". In this case though, I have provided what I feel is enough security on the directory and don't necessarily need mod_security provider further access.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to modify this mod_security rule to allow access to this directory while still protecting others?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:59
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,578 Posts

Can you post your mod_security rules?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 24th May 2009, 04:32

Exclamation If anyone have a similar problems...

see the debug log of mod_security:
"[/stats/index.html][1] Access denied with code 404 (phase 4). Pattern match "\b(?:Th(?:is (?:summary was generated by.{0,100}?(?:w(?:ebcruncher|wwstat)|analog|Jware) |analysis was produced by.{0,100}?(?:calamaris|EasyStat|analog)|report was generated by WebLog)|ese statistics were produced by (?:getstats|PeLAB))|[gG]enerated by. ..." at RESPONSE_BODY. [file "/etc/httpd/modsecurity.d/modsecurity_crs_50_outbound.conf"] [line "19"] [id "970002"] [msg "Statistics Information Leakage"] [severity "WARNING"]"

(or similar)

Possible solution:

Comment out the following lines in: /path/to/modsecurity_crs_50_outbound.conf

#SecRule RESPONSE_BODY "\b(?:Th(?:is (?:summary was generated by.{0,100}?(?:w(?:ebcruncher|wwstat)|analog|Jware) |analysis was produced by.{0,100}?(?:calamaris|EasyStat|analog)|report was generated by WebLog)|ese statistics were produced by (?:getstats|PeLAB))|[gG]enerated by.{0,100}?[Ww]ebalizer)\b" \
# "phase:4,t:none,ctl:auditLogParts=+E,deny,log,audi tlog,status:404,msg:'Statistics Information Leakage',id:'970002',severity:'4

then reload Apache.

(Sorry for my bad english... )

Regards:
//:wladek
The Following User Says Thank You to wladek For This Useful Post:
onastvar (30th May 2013)