Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 20th April 2009, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogi View Post
You have to be kidding.

ISPConfig has arbitrarily removed the ability to use rewrites?

Seriously?
Chill dude. Let's wait for an answer, don't jump to conclusions.
Sponsored Links
Old 20th April 2009, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkovacs View Post
Chill dude. Let's wait for an answer, don't jump to conclusions.
Your right of course.

It's just that it is more than a little beyond my comprehension how or why such talented (and highly experienced) devs as these could have made a change of such epic proportions. I know next to nothing about code but even I would easily have forseen that change bringing sites down wholesale, which is exactly what it has done.

Bizarre.

Anyhow, just have to wait and see what they say.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:16

To be honest I agree with Mogi, rewrites is a *must* feature.
It would be a shame if it didnt have this function and as good as it is, users will stop using ispconfig3.

Falko help us out here
Old 20th April 2009, 20:30
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,388 Times in 4,233 Posts

You can enable this in your vhost template if you want. So this is not a missing feature nor feature thing at all. To enable rewrites, you will have to alllow to allow overriding of file info which on the other hand enables your customers to widen their access restrictions on the server. As a software provider we will have to release a safe system as everyone will complian otherwise. If you dont need a secure system or it does not matter for you if users are able to get additional features without being activated in the site settings by putting them in a .htaccess file, feel free to give your users thiese permissions. Thats why ispconfig uses templates for config files, so everyone can customize the safe default settiongs to its needs.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:36

Hi Till, thanks for the response.

We can edit the vhost file manually with our directive AllowOverride All but.... when we come to ispconfig3 and configure a new site, it resets all the directives back to how they were originally hence all working wordpress, joomla or drupal sites getting an Error 500.

gkovacs is trying to say that this never used to happen. Since the latest update, it messes with rewrites.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:36

Till, there is no problem with you guys releasing a safe software environment. Everyone here is grateful for ISPConfig, it's a great piece of software.

The problem lies in the fact that it seems you CHANGED the behaviour of ISPConfig silently in the last update, and many of our sites simply STOPPED working. And there is no easy workaround. Most of my clients right now are hosted without mod_rewrite, with Google Adwords turned off. I'm getting phonecalls around the clock.

In the previous version mod_rewrite worked out of the box, now it doesn't. There was no warning, I don't remember seeing it in the release notes, heck you guys aren't even acknowledging the change here, now.

Why should this be kept secret? Thousands of sites will fail in the coming weeks if people keep updating their systems. Hundreds of people will try to look for advice everywhere. Are you sure you guys are handling this in the best possible way?

Last edited by gkovacs; 20th April 2009 at 20:44.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:43
Super Moderator

Quote:
The problem lies in the fact that it seems you CHANGED the behaviour of ISPConfig silently in the last update, and many of our sites simply STOPPED working. And there is no easy workaround. Most of my clients right now are hosted without mod_rewrite, with Goodle Adwords turned off. I'm getting phonecalls around the clock.
Nothing has been changed silently. You should read the release notes and the comments on fixed bugs as the behaviour has been chenged to fix a bug.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgibson View Post
Hi Till, thanks for the response.

We can edit the vhost file manually with our directive AllowOverride All but.... when we come to ispconfig3 and configure a new site, it resets all the directives back to how they were originally hence all working wordpress, joomla or drupal sites getting an Error 500.

gkovacs is trying to say that this never used to happen. Since the latest update, it messes with rewrites.
Please read my post more closely. I told you to change the vhost template file and not the vhost file!
Old 20th April 2009, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
You can enable this in your vhost template if you want. So this is not a missing feature nor feature thing at all.
Hello till,

Does ISPConfig 2 allow rewrites? If it does, are you planning to disable that in the next release/update?

Seriously, if you are, you may as well stop developing both of these tools right now, as fantastic (truly, they are fantastic) as they are, or rather were.

Just the single thing of breaking all of these thousands of WordPress sites, let alone all of the other scripts using rewrites, is enough to make ISPConfig a thing of the past in a very, very short space of time.

Just speaking for myself, even if you do reverse your decision on this rewrites thing (and I think you are going to have zero choice but find a way to fix this) how do we now know that something equally crazy won't be sprung on us in some other future update?

I think that you have made a really huge error here, and I don't think that you are helping by not dealing with this properly now either.

I mean, is that it? Your reaction to this is; 'it's not a missing feature'?

It sure is to hundreds of site owners, and it sure is going to be for hundreds and hundreds more in a short while, too.
Old 20th April 2009, 21:18
Super Moderator

We might enable this again in ispconfig 3 if it causes so many problems. And yes, it is not feature issue as this is a configuration questions which can be handled easily and individually by every administrator in his setup. ISPConfig uses templates for config files so that every admin can have its own and specific set of templates, this also enables administartors to use different security settings etc. which do not have to be the same then the ones we deliver with ispconfig. Your post shows that you are not aware what the exact issue is. The override option default has been changed because users requested this and not because I requested this. So your complain is that we have fixed a security issue due to user requests and you did not know it because you did not had read the release notes. So if it is populer demand we will turn it on again.