Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 10th March 2006, 16:44

Exclamation New to Linux 1st Ubuntu install RAID 0 =)

Hiya,
I'm setting out on my Linux learning curve and have setup a new box with 2 160 GB SATA hdds which I've set up in software RAID 0 array. Once the installation takes off, it hangs at 'Running "grub-install (hd0)"...' I'm wondering if it is having issues with the file system setup. What I did was create the same size partitions on both drives, then assign the RAID stripes as /boot swap /root & /var, per http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_software_raid

# see I know to look for stuff on my own when Linux is concerned, I just hit a stump and there a mucho gurus so...

At any rate, I'm not sure what the issue could be or where to begin trouble shooting especially since this is a fresh install and me being newb and all! I really need to get a handle on linux in general cause the VMware ESX underpinnings are all linux and we're virtualizing our entire data center :|, well, I will be...
Sponsored Links
Old 11th August 2008, 15:24

Hi,

All of us were new to Ubuntu at some point, i like using this
http://www.fixya.com/support/p926113-canonical_ubuntu

I find it very useful.

Welcome to Ubuntu,
Pippin.
Old 31st March 2009, 15:50

Default One solution

Hello,

I was just learning how to use Ubuntu / Debian software raid 0 and had the same problem (neither GRUB nor LILO installed), but I found out one solution that may not be the best but it works.

So what I did was the two raid partitions (swap and root) to the hard drives normally and a separate /boot -partition to the first hard drive (about 50mb and ext3 formatting) and marked it bootable. Tough this leaves a small free space partition to the second drive, personally I don't mind.