Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Tips/Tricks/Mods

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 30th January 2011, 15:48

Send a message via ICQ to radim_h
Default mod-PHP and custom php settings restricted...

Hello,

can please someone explain why in mod-PHP mode for sites
"You cannot use the Custom php.ini settings field on the Options tab of a web site in ISPConfig to specify custom php.ini settings (see chapter 4.6.1.1)."

In my istallation is only mod-PHP allowed
allow override is: "Indexes AuthConfig Limit FileInfo Options=Indexes"
which means user can chnage any values for apache in .htaccces except PHP values.
Thas is working in ISPC2 for me, which has also mod-PHP, if i'm right..

but sometimes i need memory limit and some other stuff for the users

As the manual says i cannot change "Custom php.ini settings" these are not passed do vhost conf, and if i put something to "Apache directives" window like php_admin_value memory_limit 128MB
phpinfo doesnt work then (blank page, probably PHP not working at all)
in error log is
PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 523800 bytes) in Unknown on line 0
but in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini is "memory_limit = 48M"

Why is this restriction, can i change it somehow, by editing some ISPC scripts ??
I don't want allow users change theirs PHP settings, but allow for adminstrator. DOn't want to use Fast-CGI users are confused from it, most of software and tutorials is ready for mod-PHP...

Last edited by radim_h; 30th January 2011 at 16:03.
Sponsored Links
Old 30th January 2011, 21:39
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,903 Posts

Quote:
Why is this restriction, can i change it somehow, by editing some ISPC scripts ??
This is a restriction of mod_php and not a restriction in ispconfig. mod_php simply does not support custom php.ini files for every vhost. So if you want to enable that, you will have to change the code of mod_php and not ispconfig.

But for mod_php, you dont use a custom php.ini file as you set config values for mod_php with "php_flag" and "php_value" directives in the apache directives field instead of the php.ini field.

Quote:
I don't want allow users change theirs PHP settings, but allow for adminstrator. DOn't want to use Fast-CGI users are confused from it, most of software and tutorials is ready for mod-PHP...
Thats a bad decision security wise and also a bad decision for your customers as their scripts will not work as good with mod_php then they would work with fcgi-php + suexec enabled. All php scripts and cms systems that I used in the last years work fine with fcgi and almost all cms systems work even much better with php-fcgi and suexec as this allows the upload and update functions in the cms systems to work properly and is also more secure then using mod_php.
Old 30th January 2011, 21:47

Send a message via ICQ to radim_h

Quote:
Thats a bad decision security wise and also a bad decision for your customers as their scripts will not work as good with mod_php then they would work with fcgi-php + suexec enabled. All php scripts and cms systems that I used in the last years work fine with fcgi and almost all cms systems work even much better with php-fcgi and suexec as this allows the upload and update functions in the cms systems to work properly and is also more secure then using mod_php.
DO you have idea if this setting consume more system resources than mod-PHP ? i'm trying to configure ISPC for using with 100+ web pages environment ...