Old 26th March 2009, 18:21

Default FTP Server setup

Hello all,

I am having a major issue in making this work the way we need it to, Maybe some of you have an idea on how to make it work.

Firstly we have CentOS 5.x with ProFTP installed and working.

We need to have multi users login via FTP to the root directory of the web site, /var/www/html, I have created users that will ONLY be used for FTP access and have them with their home directory set as /var/www/html, I created a group called ftpgroup and chown'ed the html directory to root.ftpgroup, so far it works .. users can login if permissions are set to chmod 755 on the html directory, however they can NOT upload or delete any files to the /var/www/html directory ? .. I need to find out how to set this up as to NOT create a security hole bigger than we already have with the use of FTP, To add yet one more requirement to this mix we need to lock down specific users as stated above to known IP addresses to further lock down FTP access.

HELP !
Sponsored Links
Old 27th March 2009, 14:23
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

You must enable write permissions for the group ftpgroup:
Code:
chmod 775 /var/www/html

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 28th March 2009, 04:26

Thanks for the info .. I finally was able to work this out as well .. thanks again for your help.

BRW