Old 17th March 2006, 05:00

Default Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko
Ok, this is how I did it:
I register my domains with DirectI. They also offer "Managed DNS".

First, I registered a domain that I use for technical issues only, not for web sites or emails (hostmu.com). For that domain I bought "Managed DNS" and created the A records ns1 - ns6.hostmu.com.
Right now, I use ns5.hostmu.com as primary DNS server, ns6.hostmu.com as secondary DNS. Both run ISPConfig, and I create all records using ISPConfig.
Whenever I want to register a new domain, I create all needed DNS records (A records: www and mail, MX record: mail) before I register the domain. Then I go to DirectI and register the domain, and when I register it, the web interface allows me to put in up to four name servers, so I fill in ns5.hostmu.com and ns6.hostmu.com.
Voilà! That's it!
I registered my domain at 1&1. They offer "DNS Management".
First, I registered a domain that I will use for technical issues only, not for web sites or emails (scratchcohosting.com). "DNS Management" was free, so I created an A record that pointed my domain (scratchcohosting.com) to my ip address (12.205.45.114). I left the MX record assigned to 1&1. Then I created a subdomain (ns1.scratchcohosting.com) and I also pointed this to my ip address (12.205.45.114) again leaving the MX record to 1&1. One name server will have to do for now, since I only have one computer running each component of ISPConfig.

Once everything is settled to my IP address, Will I be able to set up my own domain (scratchco.com) with ISPConfig? And if so what will I use as my A and MX records inside ISPConfig? Does it matter what additional Nameserver I use while configuring my domain (scratchco.com) inside 1&1?

I am also concerned with my /etc/resolv.conf file. Is there anything wrong?

Quote:
search insightbb.com
nameserver 192.168.2.1
nameserver NS1.gradeahosting.com
nameserver NS2.gradeahosting.com
Sponsored Links
Old 17th March 2006, 12:40
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobhenry
Once everything is settled to my IP address, Will I be able to set up my own domain (scratchco.com) with ISPConfig?
Yes, but you must tell your registrar that ns1.scratchcohosting.com is the authoritative name server for scratchco.com.

Quote:
And if so what will I use as my A and MX records inside ISPConfig?
Simply create a zone "scratchco.com", and as A records you create "www" and "mail", and regarding the MX record, you leave the host name blank and enter mail.scratchco.com as mail server.

Quote:
Does it matter what additional Nameserver I use while configuring my domain (scratchco.com) inside 1&1?
Maybe you can put in ns1.scratchcohosting.com twice?

Quote:
I am also concerned with my /etc/resolv.conf file. Is there anything wrong?
Yes: You must always use IP addresses as name servers in /etc/resolv.conf! Like this:

Code:
domain insightbb.com
nameserver 145.253.2.75
nameserver 193.174.32.18
nameserver 194.25.0.60
You shold also have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/traditional_dns_howto and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_system to get a deeper understanding how this DNS thing works.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 18th March 2006, 01:42

Could someone IM me to help me set up a domain inside the ISPConfig Interface. My aim screenname is CUB2004VA . I am just digging myself a hole.

I have my (hosting) domain name pointing to my IP address which allows me to log onto ISPConfig just fine. I don't understand how ISPConfig will know the difference between my hosting domain and any other domain if they are both just pointing to my IP address? And what was the purpose of configuring a second ip address in the perfect setup?

Quote:
auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
address 192.168.0.101
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

Last edited by jacobhenry; 18th March 2006 at 07:18.
Old 18th March 2006, 08:25

I have a hard time explaining in words the problems I am having so I am going to explain it with pictures.

First I will create a 'New Site' and then go to the Records it creates automatically

Here I chose to have ISPConfig Create DNS and Create DNS-MX Records

Name:  ISP_basis.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  11.3 KB

Then I added the Co-Domains for scratchco.com and mail.scratchco.com

Name:  ISP_Co_Domains.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  8.9 KB

After filling out all the information for the 'New Site' I went over to the 'DNS Manager' tab and a new record for scratch.com was created.

The second tab 'Options' had a spot for two nameservers which confuses me. I used 1and1.com's 'DNS Management' to use my own nameserver ns1.scratchcohosting.com. so what values would I use for the nameservers in ISPConfig?

Name:  DNS_Options.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  8.7 KB

The last tab 'Record' also confused me. The A Records looked fine assuming the private IP addresses are ok.

Name:  DNS_ARecord.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  4.6 KB

but the MX Record used mail.scratchcohosting.com instead of mail.scratchco.com. Is this correct? if not what do i need to change in order for it to create the MX Record using the domain I am setting up?

Name:  DNS_MXRecord.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  5.6 KB
Old 18th March 2006, 11:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
The second tab 'Options' had a spot for two nameservers which confuses me. I used 1and1.com's 'DNS Management' to use my own nameserver ns1.scratchcohosting.com. so what values would I use for the nameservers in ISPConfig?
Fill in your own name server(s) here ns1.scratchcohosting.com (the ones that are authoritative for the domain).

Quote:
The last tab 'Record' also confused me. The A Records looked fine assuming the private IP addresses are ok.
You must use public IP addresses here, otherwise nobody from outside your LAN can access the domains.

Quote:
but the MX Record used mail.scratchcohosting.com instead of mail.scratchco.com. Is this correct? if not what do i need to change in order for it to create the MX Record using the domain I am setting up?
As long as www.scratchco.com and mail.scratchco.com point to the same IP address, it doesn't matter which one you specify. But I'd take mail.scratchco.com.
You must also create an entry with mail.scratchco.com as mailserver and an empty hostname if you want to receive emails for user@scratchco.com.
Your current MX records allow you to receive emails for user@www.scratchco.com and user@mail.scratchco.com.

Quote:
I don't understand how ISPConfig will know the difference between my hosting domain and any other domain if they are both just pointing to my IP address?
ISPConfig creates an Apache configuration that is based on name-based vhosts, i.e. you type a domain name in your browser, and Apache sees that domain name and decides which web site it must serve.

Quote:
And what was the purpose of configuring a second ip address in the perfect setup?
That is totally optional. It's just an example how you do it if you need another IP address.

Old 18th March 2006, 20:01

These are the final settings I used for my records to get the website to work.

Name:  DNS_Record2.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  7.5 KB

Three more questions:
1)How do individual sites connect to there files with a FTP client? (site? username? password?)
2)How do individual sites connect to there databases using PHPMyAdmin? (username? password?) (I was unable to log in using the usernames I created)
3)How do individual sites use webmail? (I have not been able to log in with the usernames I set up with the website? I am new to hosting my own email, so where should I start to research and test Postfix?)

Last edited by jacobhenry; 18th March 2006 at 23:28.
Old 18th March 2006, 23:40
Super Moderator

Quote:
1)How do individual sites connect to there files with a FTP client? (site? username? password?)
Use an FTP client like SmartFTP or WS_FTP. As hostname you can use any FQDN or IP address that points to the server, typically you'd use a domain of the web site. The username is the username of the site admin you created under "User & Email" (e.g. web1_adminuser).

Quote:
2)How do individual sites connect to there databases using PHPMyAdmin? (username? password?) (I was unable to log in using the usernames I created)
In ISPConfig you create databases under the "Options" tab. There you also see the username of the database, typically something like web1_u1 (that would be the username for the database web1_db1).

Quote:
3)How do individual sites use webmail? (I have not been able to log in with the usernames I set up with the website? I am new to hosting my own email, so where should I start to research and test Postfix?)
The ISPConfig webmail package behaves different than an email client. In an email client you must use the username (e.g. web1_someuser), whereas in webmail you must use an email address as username to log in.

Old 19th March 2006, 09:01

I have just found out that my Nameservers are not set up correctly. I will try to explain all the steps that I took hoping you can catch my error.

1) First I created scratchcohosting.com and aimed it towards my IP address. (http://scratchcohosting.com:81/ successfully leads me to my ISPConfig login)

2) Then I created two subdomains (ns1.scratchcohosting.com) and (ns2.scratchcohosting.com). I used 1and1.com's DNS servers and again aimed both of these nameservers to my IP address, which is hosting ISPconfig.

Name:  1and1_Settings2.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  10.9 KB

3) Since I had two of my own nameservers, I changed the Settings>DNS default nameservers to ns1... and ns2.scratchcohosting.com

Name:  Settings_DNS.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  7.8 KB

4) I created a 'New Site' under ISP Manager with the domain www.jacobhenry.info.

5) Under DNS Manager>Options, both the nameservers are set to my default nameservers (ns1.scratchcohosting.com and ns2.scratchcohosting.com)

6) Under DNS Manager>Records are the following records.

Name:  DNS_Record2.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  7.5 KB

7) As soon as i created the records in ISPConfig, I changed the default nameservers for jacobhenry.info on 1and1.com's site to:

Name:  1and1_Settings.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  12.7 KB

Do you have any suggestions or solutions for my problem? I know I have been a pain in the butt, but i really enjoy using ISPConfig to learn about linux and web hosting. I appreciate your feed back and support.
Old 19th March 2006, 13:57
Super Moderator

This is all ok. www.jacobhenry.info and jacobhenry.info are working for me in my browser.

Old 19th March 2006, 18:46

Its only working because I changed the settings in 1and1 to use their NS and point the domain back to my IP. www.kariandjacob.info is still set up using my name servers and it does not work. Sorry about switching it on you. Under Management>Services>Services it shows everything working properly. Is there any other way to test my DNS to make sure its working properly?

In the /etc/resolv.conf file

Quote:
domain insightbb.com <----- Internet Service Provider
nameserver 145.253.2.75
nameserver 193.174.32.18
nameserver 194.25.0.60
By default it put my internet service provider. Should I have changed it to my domain or kept it at the default value?

Last edited by jacobhenry; 19th March 2006 at 20:55.