Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 18th September 2010, 18:05

Default Apache2+Subdomain/Aliasdomain Problem

Hi,
I have a problem with my server.
If I try to open a domain that shouldn't exist, I get the default page of apache2 instead of an error message.

For example:

my domain: example.com

Now if I try to open the domain " asdasd.example.com " I get the default " It works " page. And I really don't know why.
I think it's due to an incorrect setting in ISPconfig, but I don't know what I've misconfigured.

Another huge problem is that if I ping the domain "qwe.example.com", or "yxc.example.com" I get a ping respond. Although under Site -> Websites this Domain doesn’t exist.

I don't know if this is a security problem, but I really want to fix this issue. Asap.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Overcrook; 18th September 2010 at 19:53.
Sponsored Links
Old 18th September 2010, 20:12
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,610 Times in 4,421 Posts

Quote:
If I try to open a domain that shouldn't exist, I get the default page of apache2 instead of an error message.
Thats the normal behavoiur of the apache webserver. Replace the default apache page with a page that shows the error message that you want to be displayed for non existing domains.

Quote:
Another huge problem is that if I ping the domain "qwe.example.com", or "yxc.example.com" I get a ping respond. Although under Site -> Websites this Domain doesn’t exist.
Thast not directly related to the first issue as it has nothing to do with websites. The problem for that is that you have wrong DNS records. Do not create any wildcard dns records for your domain if you do not want that all subdomains of a given domain will show up as existing domains. Instead of a wildcard dns record, create only the A-Records for subdomains that you really use in the dns zones of your domains.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
Overcrook (18th September 2010)
Old 18th September 2010, 20:12

Quote:
I have a problem with my server.

For example:

my domain: example.com

Now if I try to open the domain " asdasd.example.com " I get the default " It works " page. And I really don't know why.
I think it's due to an incorrect setting in ISPconfig, but I don't know what I've misconfigured.
This is because of the DNS lookup process I believe. The name servers you have registered YOUR name server with know that example.com records are held on your server, but you server doesn't have records for asdas.example.com so it dumps you on the 'It Works' page. The same would happen if you registered another domain and showed the ns records pointing to your server - it would have no knowledge of that domain and dump you there again.

Last edited by Toucan; 18th September 2010 at 20:17. Reason: Till gave a better answer
The Following User Says Thank You to Toucan For This Useful Post:
Overcrook (18th September 2010)
Old 18th September 2010, 21:38

Thank you guys.

Now I've replaced the default page.

Okay, I understand. So the problem lies in the DNS settings.
Unfortunately these are managed by the provider where I've registered the URL. Also they don't allow two Nameserver on the same IP.

However thanks again.