Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 2 > Installation/Configuration

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 17th March 2009, 02:29

Default How to stop ISPconfig to write to postfix config files for a domain.

I have a domain that hosted in with us, however recently they want to use their own mail servers. I was able to config my DNS servers to read from a static config files and ignore the slave zone, so the MX record is working the way I want it to.

Is there anything I can do to stop ISPconfig from writing that domain hostname and users emails into the Postfix config files: local-host-names and virtusertable?
I tried to delete all the DNS settings in the control panel, but it seems ISPconfig did not remove from them from the database(i can see the entries from phpmyadmin) and kept writing the emails into the Postfix files.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 17th March 2009, 10:11

Not sure if this will help, but you can set the domain to use an external mailserer.
To do so, go (in ISPconfig) to the domain > Options, and select "External Mailserver"
Make sure that you also do this for any "Co-domains" that you created for this domain!
Old 17th March 2009, 17:57

Thank you, edge

That did it for the subdomain.domain.com

However, I still have problem the main domain "domain.com", ISPconfig still writes "domain.com" to the Postfix's local-host-names which causes problems for the form2mail. Postfix delivers the email to the local account, instead forward it to the external mail server.

I can't see the "domain.com" anywhere in the co-domain tab or anywhere, however if i try to add the "domain.com" as a co-domain. ISPconfig tells me that "The name .domain.com is already in use by another site or domain." This is really strange.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 17th March 2009, 18:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,259 Times in 4,123 Posts

Quote:
I can't see the "domain.com" anywhere in the co-domain tab or anywhere, however if i try to add the "domain.com" as a co-domain. ISPconfig tells me that "The name .domain.com is already in use by another site or domain." This is really strange.
Then the domain is either assigned to another site or it is in the recyle bin. Check all sites and empty all recycle bin's.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:10

Thanks till,

I did go through ALL to make sure that the "domain.com" is not assigned to any users/sites.

Yes, I did empty the Recycle bin too.

I use phpmyadmin and it looks like the "domain.com" is in the database and assigned to the correct user. It just does not show up in the ISPconfig tab. I can manually remove the entry but I don't know if it will cause any problem, will it?

Thanks
Old 20th March 2009, 00:29

Just want to update so it may help others.

I had to use phpmyadmin to delete the "stuck" entries in the database.
The two tables that had the offending entries were "dns_a" and "isp_isp_domain".

I don't know if it's a proper way to fix it, but it works.

Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to kbdigital For This Useful Post:
falko (20th March 2009)
Old 24th March 2010, 21:20

Default Mailserver set on external but still problems

Hi all,

I host several domains on one machine (1 ip-address) and have one domain that hosts it's own mailserver so i set the Mailserver of this domain (no co-domain present) to "External Mailserver", but once in a while the domain name still gets written to /etc/postfix/local-host-names.

Anybody a clue?

(i use ispconfig 2.2.35)

Regards
Rino
Old 26th March 2010, 02:16
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,735 Times in 2,571 Posts

So you have a web site www.example.com in ISPConfig, and you've checked "External Milserver" for www.example.com, and www.example.com is still listed /etc/postfix/local-host-names? Or is it just example.com (without www)?

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 29th March 2010, 13:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
So you have a web site www.example.com in ISPConfig, and you've checked "External Milserver" for www.example.com, and www.example.com is still listed /etc/postfix/local-host-names? Or is it just example.com (without www)?
Hi,

The account is without the www
Does this makes the difference?

Regards
Rino
Old 29th March 2010, 13:56

I have a similar problem, except it continues to add the domain WITH the www host portion, thus causing all inbound mail to be rejected... very frustrating!

However, if I change the settings for the domain to point to an external mail server, then it does in fact wipe out any/all instances of the domain in the /etc/postfix/local-host-names file...

//Todd