Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > ISPConfig 3 > General

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 13th March 2009, 16:48

Default subdomains in ispconfig3

Hi, I'm trying to understand how subdomains work in ispconfig3. I come from other isp manager where subdomains are treated as ispconfig3's domain (you create one subdomain by typing its URL, the system assigns you a folder to place the web site, and you upload it). So, can anybody help me understand how ispconfig3 works here?

Let's say I want to create a blog.mydomain.com, which is different from www.mydomain.com. So I have created a domain and set in Auto-Subdomain the value www

No I create a subdomain. However, I do not know what values I should set for Domain, Redirect Type (btw, can someone explain what those values mean?), Redirect Path

Thanks very much in advance

Ignacio
Sponsored Links
Old 13th March 2009, 17:31
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,224 Times in 4,094 Posts

A subdomain is a alis which points to the same website then the website of the domain. so if you add a subdomain blog.mydomqin.com to the website mydomain.com then blog.mydomain.com pints to the same website folder.

If blog.mydomain.com shall have its own vhost, the simply add a new domain blog.mydomain.com.
Old 14th March 2009, 18:39

I was going to ask a similar question as the original poster as I was struggling with understanding how the subdomain concept works as well.

Like the original poster, I thought the subdomain feature would allow for provisioning different hosts (www, blog, webmail, etc.) in front of a client's domain.

According to Till's response, the subdomain feature creates an Alias domain. If that is true, how is this different than the Alias Domain feature within ISPConfig3? Wouldn't these be duplicates? The input fields are slightly different between the two, but it sounds as though they do the same thing.

Can one of the developers give a scenario of why and when a user would use these two features?

Thanks.
Old 15th March 2009, 00:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can one of the developers give a scenario of why and when a user would use these two features?
Many hosting providers separate subdomains and other domains in their hosting offers so we have to functions for this to be able to limit them separateley as for a subdomain no additional fees for the registry apply while you will have to register a domain at the registry when it is not a subdomain.
Old 16th March 2009, 10:43

ok. I understand that now. However, I've been looking through the forum and documentation on the parameters for Redirection Type and Redirection Path. Could you explain them?

TIA

Ignacio
Old 29th March 2009, 12:23

Send a message via Yahoo to LightVision

For me, a subdomain is exactly what the word subdomain means: a sub-domain of the domain; and for that subdomain there must be a way to setup a document root in the document-root of the main domain (as a subfolder).

As long as you treat subdomains in that way you do there is no guarantee that another user couldn't register a sobdomain of my domain.

Bad approach plus a waste of resources. Maybe for that subdomain i wouldn't another user to administrate or another e-mail address. Maybe I want to mix the same data for the domain and subdomain in one SINGLE database - with only one root-user and only one password.

What you call subdomain is in fact an alias for redirection and that i could do myself through .htaccess

And, by the way, if you ever change the approach of subdomain, you should inplement as the father's pannel do (you know what i meant)

And because the way you implement the subdomains i couldn't use htaccess to implement it in the correct way.
Tryed in both 2 and 3.

Sory, I am dissapointed but for the moment i have no other options than ispconfig. and i'll choose 2 because interface is esier than 3 (anyway, 3 looks better)
Sorry again.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:09

Send a message via Skype™ to Horfic
Thumbs up

I'm totaly agreeing with LightVision. The subdomain in ISPConfig 3 ist just a alias domain. I know some of the Hoster are doing that what till wrote, but not all. A lot of Hosters are also doing the way what LightVision described.

I would love to see that the ISPConfig Team could also implement this way, because I think its nice to have on main DocumentRoot and in that separate ones for subdomains. So you can access all files with one FTP-ACC.

PS: I'm using at the moment for my Webserver Plesk, and this feature is the major one I use. But I will change to ISPConfig as soon as I have time to make the necessary arrangements for the Transfer.

PPS: PLESK SUCKS ISPCONFIG RULES!
Old 1st April 2009, 12:11
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would love to see that the ISPConfig Team could also implement this way, because I think its nice to have on main DocumentRoot and in that separate ones for subdomains. So you can access all files with one FTP-ACC.
Just click on new domain and enter in the domain field: sub.domain.com instead of just domain.com and you have a separate web root for your subdomain.
Old 1st April 2009, 12:13

Send a message via Skype™ to Horfic

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Just click on new domain and enter in the domain field: sub.domain.com instead of just domain.com and you have a separate web root for your subdomain.
Yes but not in the main DocumentRoot of my Domain!
Old 1st April 2009, 12:17
Super Moderator

If you want to have the subdirectory in the same directory then use the subdomain feature of ispconfig plus a rewrite rule to redirect to the subdirectory. thats what the rewrite rukes are for. Simply add a rewrite rule that rewrites to a folder instead of a URL and that does not change the URL in the browser.

Last edited by till; 1st April 2009 at 12:26.
The Following User Says Thank You to till For This Useful Post:
Horfic (1st April 2009)