Go Back   HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials > Linux Forums > Server Operation

Do you like HowtoForge? Please consider supporting us by becoming a subscriber.

Old 2nd March 2009, 06:15

Default return address for bouncing msgs from hosted domain in postfix

Hi,
I feel a dill , but i cannot for the life of me work out how to set return address for email sent from a virtual domain hosted on my plesk server, and I cant seem to get the right key words to find a howto in google. Do i set it in postfix? sendmail php? .... A general pointer would probably do, once i get started I should be able to muddle thru. I have dione it before, but 5 years ago, and my memory has totally failed me..

I have a plesk9/centos5 server, that was running qmail, which i then converted over to running postfix. I have just gone totally blank on where and what I should be configuring to change the return address setting.

The hosted website sends out members messages to other members, but when it sends to an invalid/full/offline email address, when it bounces back, it comes back to the apache@webserver.com default address, whereas it would like it to return to say dud-member-emails@hosted-domain.com. So that the website owner can address the issue, rather my mailbox being filled with dozens of bounced emails..

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by humpy; 2nd March 2009 at 06:16. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:07
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,743 Times in 2,577 Posts

Take a look at example 2 on http://de2.php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on:
Old 11th March 2009, 18:04

hmm.. i have checked their code, here is a snip of it
$client_data

Question :
$content";

mail($admin_email, "Member Request [$email]", $message, "From: <$email>\r\nReturn-Path: bounce@website.com");
$sent = 1;
} else { $fail = 2;

Which looks right according to the link that you so kindly supplied... except they havent changed their code at all from before, it has been me changing over to postfix that seems to have caused the grief...

thanks so much for you advice so far..
cheers

Last edited by humpy; 11th March 2009 at 18:29.